Former Kernelites finalists for national press awards

Two Kernel alumni have been named finalists for Story of the Year in the 2009 Associated Collegiate Press Awards. The competition is designed to recognize initiative and original reporting of a situation, problem or issue affecting students, according to the ACP Web site.

Brad Luttrell, a May 2009 graduate, is one of four finalists in the Feature Story category of the competition for his story “The future of coal,” which ran in the April 30 issue of the Kernel. Other finalists in the category include students from California State University, Harvard University and the University of Oklahoma.

“It’s a big honor because this is a competition with the top journalism schools in the country,” Luttrell said.

December 2008 graduate Eric Lindsey is nominated in the Sports Story category for his Nov. 17 Kernel story “Swinging for glory.” He is one of five finalists in the category, which includes students from Los Angeles City College, Indiana University, the University of Oregon and the College of William and Mary.

“I was shocked and surprised when I heard I was a finalist, but at the same time, very honored,” Lindsey said. “It’s really just a direct reflection of the hard work that everybody puts in there at the Kernel.”

The stories are judged on writing quality, sensitivity, fairness and leadership. Winners will be announced at the National College Media Convention, which will be held Oct. 28 through Nov. 1 in Austin, Texas.

— Staff report