Ky. federal judge Thapar to address law students

By Matthew Stallings

A rising star will be making an appearance on campus, but don’t expect to see his name in a major motion picture anytime soon.

The UK Federalist Society is bringing District Judge Amul Thapar to speak at the UK College of Law Courtroom at 4 p.m on Thursday.

David Newton,  president of the society, has been keeping a close eye on Thapar since he was appointed to the federal bench in 2006 as U.S. Attorney for the Eastern District of Kentucky.

“He is the youngest federal judge and also the first federal judge of South Asian descent,” Newton said.

Prior to his appointment as a U.S. District Judge, Thapar was  assistant  U.S. attorney in Washington, D.C., from 1999 to 2000, and assistant for the Southern District of Ohio in 2002.

Thapar will be speaking to law students to offer advice and tell of his experiences to help them plan for their future, said Joe Bilby, vice president of the Federalist Society.

Bilby said he was thrilled when Thapar agreed to speak at UK.

“Law and law enforcement students couldn’t ask for a better speaker,” Bilby said.

The Federalist Society was able to reach Thapar with their invitation through Chad Meredith, a UK law graduate who was working as one of Thapar’s clerks.

Although the society debates current political hot topics to better understand the law and its various applications, Thapar is not expected to jump into the fray.

“As a federal judge, (Thapar) is expected to remain impartial on issues so his judgement isn’t compromised,” Newton said.

The UK College of Law Courtroom is on the first floor of the law building located on South Limestone.