Track and field team honored for performances in NCAA Championships

Six members of the UK track and field team were honored in eight categories as All-Americans by the U.S. Track and Field and Cross Country Coaches Association after their performances at the NCAA Championships in Fayetteville, Ark., last week.

Junior sprinter Rondel Sorrillo, who is in his first season with the Cats, became the first UK man to earn five All-American honors in a single season, according to UK Athletics. Sorrillo, a Trinidad and Tobago native, earned three All-American honors in Arkansas in the 100m dash, the 200m dash and the 4x100m relay. His other two honors were earned in March at the 2009 NCAA Track and Field Championships.

Senior sprinter Gordon McKenzie earned his first All-American award for running the opening leg of the 4x100m Relay.

Jose Acevedo, a senior sprinter and 2008 Olympian from Venezuela, received his third All-America honor in the 4x100m relay.

Bardstown, Ky., native Kwasi Obeng earned his second All-American award in the 4x100m relay.

Senior Chase Madison received his second All-American honor as a member of the UK track and field team in the discus event. He earned a third All-American honor while attending Iowa State.

Senior discus thrower Rashaud Scott placed tenth in the event to earn his All-American award. According to UK Athletics, Scott became the first UK men’s throwing event national champion for discus.

Many members of the UK track and field team will be competing at the USA Track and Field Junior Championships in Eugene, Ore., from June 24 to 27 where they will have a chance to add to the 11 awards earned this year.

— Melissa Vessels