Local bar makes noise on campus

By Lauren Copeland

If you are just looking to get drunk, Lexington has plenty of bars crawling with sweaty college students to choose from. Soundbar/Blu Lounge is not one of those places.

“This is different. Not a cheap hole in the wall,” said co-owner Isaac Kurs of the recently opened bar located just south of Limestone and High street.

As graduates of UK, co-owners David Jones and Kurs saw what other Lexington bars had to offer and wanted to provide something more. They decided to bring a big city-style bar to Lexington with upscale drinks that can be served without ever having to sit at the bar.

With its art deco building and large patio, Soundbar is a little bit of everything with a lounge, dance club and video bar. Open seven days a week, Kurs said they have something for everyone.

Every Friday and Saturday, the DJ spins lounge and dance music from 9:30 p.m. until closing, at 2:30 a.m.

They also play several genres of music videos on flat screen TVs.

Kurs said one of the biggest draws is the huge selection of wine and unique drinks. Soundbar offers the kind of drinks found when traveling to urban areas around the world, he said.

“We try to be something exciting and interesting and different,” Kurs said. “We always try to be innovative.”

Jones, the other co-owner, said  Soundbar gets customers ranging from those in their early 20s to others in their 70s. The crowds usually come in two waves: the younger, downtown professionals come at happy hour and the dance club crowd comes later, he said.

Eventually, the bar will begin bringing in bands and holding wine tastings. Jones said any band interested in playing can stop by and talk to Kurs.

Now in their fifth week of business, Kurs said they haven’t been hurt by the economy.

“We just opened because, and despite, of the economy,” he said.

With the economy as it is, it’s even more important to go out and have fun with friends every once and a while, Kurs said. Soundbar is an upscale lounge but not an expens­ive one.

“Lexington is not hurting as bad with the economy,” Kurs said. “We’re not really worried much about it.”

Soundbar opened around the same time students were beginning summer vacation. This gave Jones and Kurs some time to ease into their business. Now that they’ve had some time to settle in, they are ready for students to come to the bar, Kurs said.

“We can’t wait for the students to come check us out,” he said.

Everyone 21 and over is welcome, Jones said.

“We have a time and place for everyone to find what they like.”