No. 1 recruit Wall picks UK

The wait is over.

Premier point guard John Wall gave his verbal commitment to play for UK men’s basketball head coach John Calipari and the Cats on Tuesday, according to multiple sources. The commitment concludes a long recruiting courtship of one of the country’s best players.

Wall, ranked as the No. 1 point guard and overall player in the class of 2009, according to Rivals.com, hails from Raleigh, N.C., and chose the Cats over Miami (Fla.) and Duke, among others.

The 6-foot-4-inch guard is the fourth five-star recruit among the six players Calipari has signed for the class. UK already had the No. 1 recruiting class in the nation prior to Wall’s commitment and now with his commitment the class is seen as one of the best of all-time, according to Rivals.com.

Wall joins fellow point guard recruit Eric Bledsoe, who signed with the Cats on May 6. Rounding out the six-member class is power forward DeMarcus Cousins from Mobile, Ala., center Daniel Orton from Oklahoma City, small forward junior college transfer Darnell Dodson from Miami, Fla., and shooting guard Jon Hood from Madisonville, Ky.

Wall is seen by recruiting experts as a perfect fit for Calipari’s Dribble-Drive Motion offense because of his speed and ball handling ability. Many experts believe Wall could spend only one year in Lexington and could enter the NBA draft, where he could be a lottery pick in 2010, after his freshman campaign.

Earlier in May, Wall was charged with misdemeanor breaking and entering at a Raliegh residence. Wall was not arrested and nothing was missing from the house, which was unoccupied.

Wall’s commitment to UK gives the Cats 16 scholarship players, three more than the NCAA maximum allows. If senior-to-be Jodie Meeks withdraws his name from the NBA Draft, the Cats will have 17. Calipari has said he believes the scholarship situation will play itself out in the coming months.