COLUMN: Spring game offers unlikely headlines

If you’re looking for headlines for the upcoming 2009-2010 football season expect tales of Cobb, Hartline, Newton or Smith. But after Saturday’s spring game there might be a few more headlines in your future you weren’t expecting.

“Fidler leads Cats on 93 yard drive for victory” might be a stretch with rising junior Mike Hartline entrenched as the starting quarterback going into the summer and incoming freshmen Morgan Newton and Ryan Mossakowski expected to compete for the job in the fall, but that was the early storyline in the Blue/White game. Rising junior quarterback Fidler started the scrimmage by throwing for 88 yards and a touchdown on the Blue team’s opening drive.

“He’s clearly closed the gap, and there was a gap,” UK head coach Rich Brooks said. “I feel much, much better about Will Fidler after this scrimmage.”

“Melillo scores twice in comeback effort” is an even less probable headline. Before you see that headline you might have to ask yourself who Nick Melillo is.

He’s a walk-on rising sophomore wide receiver who transferred to UK from Lindenwood University. The never-used receiver caught two Hartline passes for touchdowns and ended the Blue/White game with four catches for 43 yards.

“He has put himself in a position where he is going to be looked at very hard in the fall,” Brooks said. “He deserves a better look. He deserves to move up the depth chart.”

“Williams rushes Cats to victory” might be another headline you weren’t expecting to read. We’re not talking about offensive tackle Michael Williams, former UK linebacker Johnny Williams or former UK safety Mike Williams. We’re talking about redshirt freshman running back Coshik Williams.

Williams ran three times for 47 yards to lead the Blue team to its second scoring drive of the game and finished the scrimmage with seven carries for 57 yards and a touchdown before leaving early with a bruised shoulder.

“He’s a guy that has gained some credibility with what he’s done,” Brooks said.

The most likely scenario for the Cats is none of the spring game’s three unsung heroes end up playing significant minutes for UK in the fall. Spring game standouts Randall Cobb, Moncell Allen and Alfonso Smith are much more likely to garner the most headlines when the score starts to count.

The small window of the Blue/White game showed promising performances from the running game, improved play by the young defensive ends and encouraging signs from new linebackers. But the biggest statement came from Cobb, the newly appointed full-time wide receiver.

Cobb finished the scrimmage with four catches for 70 yards and a touchdown and made plays that his fellow receivers struggled to make throughout last season and the spring game.

“This guy’s a playmaker,” offensive coordinator Joker Phillips said. “If he’s on the bus, you’ve got a chance.”

“Randall looks good wherever he lines up,” Brooks said.

While reporters huddled around Cobb asking him questions about his performance and position change, an unlikely questioner joined the conversation.

“How many snaps at quarterback this year are you expecting?” senior defensive lineman Jeremy Jarmon asked.

“That’s not my main thing,” Cobb responded. “I’m trying to play defensive end. I know Jeremy Jarmon is a great guy, but I always thought I was better than him. As soon as coach gives me a chance I’m going to go down there and get on three and rush the quarterback.”

The smart money is on not doubting any of Cobb’s ability, but his move to defensive end appears to be just another of those unlikely spring headlines. Don’t look for Cobb to line up on defensive this fall, but the one spring headline you can count to carry over to the regular season is this: “Randall Cobb is really good.”