Scientist awarded for advocacy: UK researcher receives American Heart Association honor

By Ali Hammond

In his 30th year of research since starting his Ph.D. at the age of 21, UK researcher Alan Daugherty said he has always had scientific interests and loves the interesting system of research. Daugherty was named as the American Heart Association’s “Science Advocate of the Year,” according to a UK news release Monday.

“I’ve done a lot of work with the American Heart Association,” Daugherty said. “But this award was a surprise.”

The award is given to someone who has been a role model for other advocates in the medical profession, and who has also encouraged them to become involved in advocacy, according to the news release.

“Alan has been active as an advocate for the past few years and has been in the thick of the activity,” said Marc Jennings of the American Heart Association. “You have to be a marvelous advocate who is an authority in the area and has tremendous credibility and passion,” Jennings said.Daugherty serves as the director of UK’s Cardiovascular Research Center, the Gill Foundation chair in Preventive Cardiology, and the associate chair of medicine for Physician Scientist Training; as of May 1 he will assume the role of senior associate dean for research in the UK College of Medicine, Public Relations Representative Beth Goins said.

Daugherty will continue to serve as the director of the Cardiovascular Research Center after May 1, Goins said. He is also a professor of medicine and physiology in the UK College of Medicine.

Daugherty emphasized the importance of research because he said it is the basis of science.

Though thankful for the award, Daugherty is most pleased about the attention it draws to the cause. The award is a great advertisement for people to get involved in making a difference, he said.

“I’ve been involved in the way scientists interact with government for a few years and this is an important part of what I do,” Daugherty said.