Unique center helps Kentuckians with voice disorders

By Courtney Thomas

People experiencing a wide variety voice disorder problems can now receive help from University of Kentucky Clinical Voice Center, the first and only clinical voice center in Kentucky.

The goals of the group are to provide a state of the art care for the citizens of Kentucky with voice problems, said Rita Patel, assistant professor in communication science and disorders, speech pathologist and director of the voice center.

“Until now, individuals have to travel to Ohio or Tennessee for voice care because there was not a center in Kentucky, and we are very happy to have state-of-the-art, multidisciplinary care for the citizens,” Patel said.The center’s technology is unique and some of the equipment can be found at only four or five other centers in the U.S., Patel said. With the new technology and a multidisciplinary staff, the center can treat anyone with a voice problem, a hoarse or raspy voice, or even breathing problems.

“The voice center is multidisciplinary and works closely with physicians, speech pathologists, singing teachers, singing coaches, and others,” Patel said. “It is all a team approach, which gives us a better perspective and allows us to help out with one goal in mind.”

One focus of the center is research, said Joseph Stemple, professor in communication science and disorders and speech pathologist. Stemple said he was brought to UK to develop and conduct research for the voice center.

Stemple also said extending the program beyond Lexington is important.

“We want to set more voice therapists in the rural area, not only to help those areas from driving every week to UK, but so we can also have someone to refer to when we need it,” he said.

Through the use of the telecare or the telehealth network system, which uses videoconference technology to bring physicians and patients together from across the state and across the world, UK can expand this program further, Stemple said.

“In voice therapy we need patients to return around six times in a couple months and if you live far away it makes it hard to come in every other week due to money and lack of time,” Stemple said. “We are trying to develop a voice therapy that will work with this kind of technology.”

The center can help anyone from children to adults, and from singers to cheerleaders because disorders can occur from common activities, such as singing and talking, but can also be found in more serious situations such as cancer and other health conditions, Patel said.

Referrals for services at the Clinical Voice Center can be made by a physician, speech-language pathologist, voice specialists (singing coach or a voice coach), and by self-referral. Most insurance companies, including Medicare, cover costs, said Ann Blackford, UK public relations representative.

The Clinical Voice Center is located on the third floor of the Kentucky Clinic. To schedule an appointment or find out more about the clinic, call (859) 257-0143.