Arts and Sciences thinks geek with week of events

By Sean Patterson

Students can celebrate their inner geek with a week of events hosted by the College of Arts and Sciences.

Starting Monday, the fifth annual Geek Week will feature such events as lectures, panel discussions and an open house of MacAdam Observatory.

“It’s the one time of the year we try to bring together the sciences and the arts,” said Megan Pendly, ambassador co-coordinator for the college. “We’re a very diverse college.”

The events kick-off Monday at noon in front of the Main Building, where there will be corndogs, lemonade, free T-shirts and cornhole games. The festivities continue throughout the week with lectures and presentations from professors and students from the College of Arts and Sciences.

“It highlights all the different faculty and students that make it a unique college,” said Shaun Ketterman, an academic adviser in the College of Arts and Sciences. “(The presentations) are geeky in the way they all focus on information.”

Ketterman said the panel discussion, being held later on Monday from 4 to 6 p.m. in the Student Center Ballroom, will focus on how UK students can prepare for graduate school programs at the university. The panel will be made up of students and faculty from the law school, medical school, pharmacy program and integrated biomedical sciences program, as well as a career counselor.

Refreshments will be provided at most events and some will offer students the opportunity to enter a drawing for a free iPod.

Geek Week Events

MONDAY, APRIL 6

Noon at the Main Building Plaza

Free t-shirts, corn dogs, lemonade, musical entertainment, corn hole games and meet the Wildcat!

Flyers with a calendar for the week’s events will be given away.

4 p.m. at the Student Center Ballroom

Panel Discussion with guests from UK’s graduate and professional schools, plus the Arts & Sciences Career Counselor.  Representatives included from Medical School, Law School, Integrated Biomedical Sciences Program, Dental School and Pharmacy School.

Refreshments, t-shirts and an IPOD drawing (raffle ticket available at this event, you must be present to win).

TUESDAY, APRIL 7

7:30 p.m. at the W. T. Young Auditorium

Dr. Chassen-Lopez will give a lecture entitled: “Exploring Nation, Gender and Modernity in Nineteenth Century Mexico through the Remarkable Life of Juana Catarina Romero.”

WEDNESDAY, APRIL 8

3 p.m.-8 p.m. on the 18th floor or Patterson Office Tower

A series of panels and presentations featuring students reading their original works of poetry, creative writing, and non-fiction, a showing of independent films made by the UK Film Club, a UK alumni panel discussing how to get one’s work published, a dance presentation by the UK Dance Ensemble, and vocal performances by UK Opera students.  Refreshments provided.

4 p.m. at 118 Whitehall Classroom Building

The Amazing Professor Ehrenborg will show how mathematics is used to study juggling patterns, explain the importance of learning foreign languages and reveal why you should finish your degree.  The finale will include a juggling demonstration with his fearless assistant, Eric Clark.  There will be pizza, t-shirts and a drawing for a free iPod.

THURSDAY, APRIL 9

1 p.m.-4 p.m. at the MacAdam Observatory

Free t-shirts and a drawing for a free IPOD.  Registration for the IPOD occurs after going through the Observatory.  The winner shall be notified Friday, April 10

6 p.m.-10 p.m. at the Student Center Ballroom

An evening celebrating and raising awareness of Appalachia’s endangered culture and its uneasy relationship with coal, featuring art, poetry readings and musical performances.  For complete details visit this website: http://www.uky.edu/~afma222/MountainKeepers.htm

8 p.m. at 155 Chem-Phys Building

Dr. Gary Ferland will give a presentation entitled: “Apollo 9 and 10, 40th Anniversary: How We got to the Moon”.  The presentation shall move to MacAdam Observatory at 8:40 pm where it shall continue and conclude

FRIDAY, APRIL 10

2:00 pm at 211 Student Center Additions

Devjani Roy, English PhD student shall present: “Thou Proteus!: The Performance of Forgery in Georgiana Cavendish’s ” as a part of the English Dept. Spring Colloquium.

3 p.m. at 230 Student Center

Prof. Sarah Phillips from Indiana University shall give a presentation entitled: “For the People: Disability, Citizenship and (Re)presenting the Self in Post-Soviet Ukraine”.

7 p.m. at 139 Chemistry-Physics Building

Professors Holler and Selegue and Mr. Duhr shall give their exciting “Reaction Attraction” demonstration and lecture!