Cats detour to different March Route

There is good news Cats fans: UK is projected a No. 1 seed in March.

It’s just not for the tournament Big Blue Nation is used to seeing the Cats in. According to www.bracketproject.50webs.com, a Web site dedicated to bracket projects, UK is a projected No. 1 seed—in the National Invitational Tournament.

While the sound of NIT might be the letters from hell in Lexington, Shawn Siegel, founder and president of Collegehoops Network said it’s not all bad news for the Cats.

“Kentucky could use their power to get a No. 1 seed, make some money hosting games and get on national television at least once, if not more times,” Siegel said in an e-mail to the Kernel. “I just don’t see the downside.”

While every bracket projection Web site has the Cats on the outside of the dreaded bubble, there is still hope for an NCAA Tournament. The hope lies within the Southeastern Conference Tournament, which starts Thursday.

Brian Phan, founder and creator of Bracket Project, said the Cats have been getting help from other bubble teams losing of late. However, a deep run in the SEC Tournament will be the only thing to save the Cats from the NIT.

“I don’t think they need to win the SEC tournament, but an appearance in the finals would be a must,” Phan said. “Beating Ole Miss and LSU gets them in the conversation but with the mediocrity of the SEC this year and Kentucky’s 4-8 record in their last 12 games, a win against (most likely) South Carolina in the semifinals would put them in good shape for a bid.  Otherwise, an NIT home game is in their future.”

While Phan looked at the possibilities of the Cats winning games in the SEC Tournament, Siegel said there is a chance of the Cats playing their way out of a No. 1 or even a No. 2 seed in the NIT.

With an early loss Siegel said the Cats could fall to a mere average seed in the NIT, despite the NIT wanting the Cats to be a top seed.

“You figure the NIT would do anything possible to give UK a No. 1 seed for the sake of filling UK’s big arena and the added buzz it would give the tournament,” Siegel said. “But then again, if UK bounces out against Ole Miss, there’s no justification for them deserving a No. 1 or No. 2 seed in the event.”

With the potential of not being a top-ranked team in the NIT, there could be outcries from fans to not accept a bid to the NIT. However, Siegel said that will only cause trouble for UK from fans across the nation.

“There’s been a lot of talk amongst fans about UK turning down a bid,” Siegel said. “The only reason not to accept a NIT bid is foolish pride.”