Festivus continues to twist seasonal cheer

By Kelly Wiley

A new twist to the holidays cheer: disappointment, wrestling and a pole.

On Dec. 18, 1997, Festivus was officially introduced to the world through “Seinfeld” in the episode “The Strike.”

“Many Christmases ago, I went to buy a doll for my son. I reached for the last one they had, but so did another man. As rain blows upon him, I realized there had to be another way … (The doll) was destroyed.

But out of that a new holiday was born … a Festivus for the rest of us,” said Frank Costanza (Jerry Stiller) in “The Strike.”

Festivus, a holiday known for its backward sense of holiday giving, created a tradition by erecting a pole in the middle of a room and telling those around how they were disappointments.

The holiday may have gained extra followers through Seinfeld, but according to www.festivusweb.com, the holiday has been around since the 1960s.

Dan O’Keefe, writer of “Seinfeld,” decided to tell the rest of the world about Festivus using some pages from his family history and their Festivus experiences.

Though it may have only been an episode on TV, Festivus is still celebrated today with Festivus parties on or around Dec. 23.

Though it may not be as famous, it gained a lot of support from a scrawny, curly, brown-haired boy from “The O.C.”

“You can’t ruin Chrismukkah. It’s got twice the resistance of any normal holiday … I’ve got Jesus and Moses by my side, man,” said Seth Cohen (Adam Brody) in the “The Best Chrismukkah Ever” episode from “The O.C.”

Melissa Eslinger, a psychology freshman, said she celebrates Christmas and Hanukkah because her mother is Jewish and her father is Presbyterian.

Creating their own traditions, she said her family celebrates the eight-day tradition of Hanukkah, but only receives gifts on the first day, in celebration of Christmas.

“It’s usually a funny thing that we do Hanukkah and Christmas,” Eslinger said. “We usually have gifts and stockings and a Christmas tree and decorations, but then we always have the menorah out too.”

With not much adherence to the holiday, Chrismukkah is celebrated with random parties during the month of December.

Even though both shows are now off the air, the holiday cheer still comes around for them this time of year in the form of reruns airing throughout December.