Gov. Beshear outlines steps to build a ‘better, brighter Kentucky’ during State of the Commonwealth Address

Andy Beshear delivers State of the Commonwealth Address on Jan. 3, 2023.

Gov. Andy Beshear delivered his State of the Commonwealth Address from the Kentucky House of Representatives Chamber in Frankfort on Wednesday, Jan. 3.

Beshear highlighted the changes made during his previous term that he plans to expand on as well as those made since his Dec. 2023 inauguration. 

The address marked Beshear’s second speech since being inaugurated for his second term as governor.

He discussed a new mental health resource, public school employee raises, the “amazing progress” made in the Commonwealth’s healthcare system, the first reduction of overdose deaths since 2018 and Kentucky’s “record-setting economy.” 

The 988 hotline was launched in Kentucky and is available to help 24 hours a day, seven days a week, 365 days a year, according to Beshear. 

This hotline connects Kentuckians facing mental health distress, risk of suicide or an addiction crisis with trained counselors.

“In Kentucky, we want our people to know, it’s okay not to be okay. Someone is there to help if you need that help,” Beshear said.

In addition to mental healthcare, Beshear spoke of the “amazing progress” made in physical healthcare throughout his previous term.

According to Beshear, his administration protected healthcare access for nearly 100,000 Kentuckians by removing governmental roadblocks, relaunching and expanding the State Insurance Marketplace, expanding Medicaid coverage for new mothers, boosting the workforce by adding dental, vision and hearing coverage, and capping the cost of insulin.

Beshear said the Commonwealth “cannot move forward” until every Kentuckian has access to quality, affordable healthcare in their community.

His administration also invested in hospital systems across the state.

Beshear said one important step of this investment was creating the first hospital in West Louisville in 150 years.

“No one should have to drive two hours or take multiple buses just to see their doctor,” Beshear said.

The governor took a moment to recognize the efforts made by public school employees, calling them “difference makers.” 

According to Beshear, Kentucky has been ranked 44th in starting teacher salary and 40th in average teacher salary. Beshear called this statistic unacceptable.

An 11% raise for every public school employee was funded to show appreciation for all that they do.

“We don’t just need to (raise public school employee pay), we have to,” Beshear said. “We’ve fallen behind.”

Beshear said the next step is to fully fund student transportation to keep the momentum going.

In addition to funding efforts to improve the public school systems, funding was secured to provide high-speed internet for every home and business in Kentucky.

The funding also ensures families in the Commonwealth are receiving clean drinking water. Beshear said for many of these families, it will be the first time.

This was not the only time Beshear mentioned significant advances in the Commonwealth throughout his time in office. 

In 2022, Kentucky saw the first reduction in overdose deaths since 2018. According to Beshear, Kentucky is one of the only states to record this decrease.

Beshear said the Commonwealth is entering 2024 after securing the “best” four–year period for economic growth in Kentucky’s history. 

More than 51,200 new jobs were created with some of the wages being the highest in the state.

Additionally, over $28.7 billion was secured for private sector investment; the most during the term of any governor, according to Beshear.

Beshear encouraged members of the Commonwealth to lead with kindness, compassion and empathy for one another.

He said that is what being a Kentuckian means.

“With this new year comes new opportunities for progress to build that better, brighter Kentucky,” Beshear said. “That’s what our children deserve.”