Kentucky volleyball sweeps LSU on the road, earns eighth straight win

Sydney Yonker
Kentucky defensive specialist Molly Tuozzo digs a ball during the Kentucky vs. Mississippi State women’s volleyball game on Friday, Oct. 20, 2023, at Rupp Arena in Lexington, Kentucky. Kentucky won 3-0. Photo by Sydney Yonker | Staff

No. 15 Kentucky volleyball (11-7) traveled to Baton Rouge, Louisiana, on Friday and swept the LSU Tigers, extending its win streak to eight.

The Wildcats improved to 9-1 in conference play, tying Arkansas for first place in the SEC.

After winning SEC Defensive Player of the Week, Eleanor Beavin recorded 10 digs, extending her double-digit dig streak to 17.

Set one was back-and-forth until Kentucky rattled off a 6-0 run to go up 11-7 and force an LSU timeout. The Cats then pushed their lead to 18-10, forcing LSU to call its second timeout of the set.

A service error pushed Kentucky to set point at 24-18 and the next point, a kill by Ahzani Tealer, gave Kentucky the set one win.

Three straight attacking errors from LSU gave Kentucky a 3-0 lead in set two. After some back-and-forth action, Kentucky found itself down 11-8, leading to its first timeout of the match.

Kentucky tied the set at 23 with blocks from Elise Goetzinger and Emma Grome and, after a kill by Megan Wilson gave the Cats the lead, Goetzinger converted an ace to win the set 26-24 after a 5-1 run.

Kentucky and LSU traded points until a 4-0 run pushed Kentucky’s lead to two at 10-8.

A kill by Megan Wilson and two errors from LSU pushed Kentucky’s lead to 18-13. Back-to-back kills by Wilson and Reagan Rutherford put the score at 20-14.

A 3-0 run from LSU led to a timeout by Kentucky and, out of the timeout, the Cats went on a 3-1 run before an LSU timeout.

A kill by Brooklyn DeLeye and an ace from Molly Tuozzo gave Kentucky the 25-18 set three win and a 3-0 sweep of the Tigers.

The Wildcats look to extend their winning streak to nine matches on Friday, Nov. 3, against the South Carolina Gamecocks in Columbia, South Carolina, inside the Carolina Volleyball Center at 7 p.m. ET.