Beshear on-campus campaign stop met with Pro-Palestinian protestors

Gov. Andy Beshear was met by supporters of Palestine protesting the Israeli – Palestinian conflict during a campaign stop on UK’s campus.

Beshear was promoting early voting as a part of his Bus Tour outside Gatton Student Center today when the protest began.

Protestors held up the Palestinian flag, signs that read “free Palestine” and another that read “11,212 innocent civilians murdered. 4,553 children murdered.”

When Beshear’s speech came to a close, the group began chanting “Free, free Palestine,” and continued when Beshear shook hands and took pictures with students.

Emma Curtis, President of the Fayette County Young Democrats said she questions the effectiveness of showing up to an event and “suggesting that (Beshear) has acted out of turn” in regards to the conflict.

“I understand the fear and frustration that the Palestinian community in Kentucky is feeling right now,” Curtis said. “However, I don’t think that Governor Beshear is in any particular position of power to do anything to resolve the Israeli – Palestinian conflict.”

The protestors followed Beshear and his team as they left, chanting, “11,212.” 

The Kernel was unable to speak with protestors after the event.

“This country has freedom of speech in the First Amendment, and they have every right to be here. So, I fully support their right to be here but question the efficacy of their methods,” Curtis said.

This is a developing story, and the Kernel will continue to update as details arise. 

View Comments (2)