UK Police report incident of sexual abuse on campus

Casey Sebastiano, Reporter

The UK Police Department released a crime bulletin via email on Monday, March 27, informing the UK campus community of an instance of sexual abuse on campus. 

According to UK Police, the incident occurred Saturday, March 25 in a residence hall. Both the victim and the suspect are UK students.

“The suspect was known to the victim and was a guest in their room at the time,” the email said.

The email discussed the importance of every student’s safety on UK’s campus. 

“The University of Kentucky values a safe community for all students, staff, faculty and visitors,” the email said.

The UK Police Department shared tips in the email to help keep the UK campus community safe.

• “Make sure you have affirmative consent before engaging in sexual activities with someone. The university’s definition of “affirmative consent” can be found in Administrative Regulation 6.2.
  • Consent is an active agreement to participate in that activity at that time. If someone says no, it means no. If someone is silent, it does not mean yes. If someone changes their mind, it means no.
  • Learn about active bystanding. While bystanders are not always present when sexual assault occurs, there may be red flags we can notice beforehand. 
  • When possible make statements – “BACK-OFF! STOP! NO-WAY!” You deserve to be respected.
  • Request a FREE SAFECATS student safety escort or coordinate after-hours on-demand bus service during the fall and spring semesters by calling (859) 257-SAFE(7233).
  • Request a FREE Kentucky Wildcab ride through the Uber app, available in the app store and Google play. Complete the Wildcat Uber enrollment form, which grants you access to the free Wildcab option. Kentucky Wildcat is available 10 p.m. through 2 a.m. Thursday through Saturday when fall and spring semester classes are in session,” the email said.

If you or someone you know has been impacted by sexual assault, the University of Kentucky offers a variety of resources, and can contact the Violence Intervention and Prevention (VIP) Center at 859-257-3574 for additional support and services. 

Incidents of sexual harassment or assault within the UK community are asked to be reported to the Title IX Coordinator at (859) 257-8927 or the Office of Institutional Equity and Equal Opportunity website.