Kentucky softball bounces back, dominates UIC 11-0

Kentucky infielder Alexia Lacatena (35) makes a throw to first base during the UK vs. Oklahoma softball game on Tuesday, March 22, 2022, at John Cropp Stadium in Lexington, Kentucky. Oklahoma won 9-1. Photo by Jack Weaver | Staff

Jonathon Bruner, Reporter

Kentucky softball (12-5-1) had the bats going early and often as it mercy ruled the UIC Flames by a score of 11-0 in five innings. 

Sophomore Alexia Lacatena would begin the game on the mound for the Wildcats and would pitch four innings. She would give up three hits and two walks, though they would amount to no runs for the Flames. Lacatena’s efforts would earn her the win, moving her record on the year to 4-0. 

Lacatena would be relieved by junior Stephanie Schoonover, who would go on to pitch the final inning of the game due to the five-inning mercy rule. Schoonover did not surrender a hit or walk and would strike out two during her outing. 

The scoring for the Wildcats would begin in the second inning when junior Grace Lorsung would send a solo home run over the left field wall, making the score 1-0 for the Wildcats.

Kentucky’s all-time hits leader, graduate student Kayla Kowalik, would add to her total with a base hit that scored graduate student Lauryn Borzilleri and made the score 2-0.

A throwing error by UIC would bring both Kowalik and sophomore Margaret Tobias to the plate and make the score 4-0. 

The Cats would then bust the game open in the third inning as they would put up six more runs. A failed squeeze bunt attempt would turn out to be a gift because of a throwing error by UIC that would lead to a four-base error as both base runner Erica Thulen and Borzilleri, the batter, scored on the play.  

Later in the inning, junior Erin Coffel would come up with the bases loaded and promptly unloaded them with a grand slam, scoring junior Vanessa Nesby, Kowalik and Tobias, bringing the score 10-0. 

The fourth inning would continue the Wildcats’ offensive momentum when junior Meeko Harrison singled and scored sophomore Hallie Mitchell. 

Kentucky will look to build upon the success as it heads home to John Cropp Stadium for the first time all season to take on the Dayton Flyers on Wednesday, March 8, at 5 p.m. EST.