Kentucky softball blown out by Oklahoma 18-0

Kentucky head coach Rachel Lawson walks off the field during the UK vs. Oklahoma softball game on Tuesday, March 22, 2022, at John Cropp Stadium in Lexington, Kentucky. Oklahoma won 9-1. Photo by Jack Weaver | Staff

Jonathon Bruner, Reporter

No. 18 Kentucky Softball (10-4-1) was no-hit by No. 1 Oklahoma (15-1), being defeated by a score of 18-0 in five innings. 

The Wildcats sent their ace, junior Stephanie Schoonover, to the mound to start things off. She would go on to receive a loss, bringing her record to 6-1 on the season. Schoonover only lasted two innings, giving up seven hits, two walks and seven runs.

Graduate student Kennedy Sullivan would be the first reliever out of the bullpen. She would only go an inning and two-thirds, giving up two runs on two hits and two walks.

Senior Sloan Gayan would get the next crack at the Sooners, but her fortunes were the same as her teammates’. She would only record one out while giving up four runs on three hits and one walk. 

Sophomore Izzy Harrison was the final pitcher of the game, though she did not record an out. She gave up four runs on one hit and one walk.

The Wildcat offense was non-existent as they were no-hit. In fact, the only Wildcat base runner to reach first was junior Erin Coffel, who was hit by a pitch. 

The game was called after the top of the fifth due to the mercy rule. 

The Wildcats will look to rebound with two chances to do so as they play a double header. The first game is against UIC at 1:30 p.m. EST before a rematch against the Oklahoma Sooners again at 4 p.m. EST on Saturday. Both will be at Marita Hynes Field in Norman, Oklahoma.