UK Transportation Services to offer free rides to local airports for spring break travels

Casey Sebastiano, Reporter

UK’s Transportation Services announced it will offer free shuttles to surrounding airports for those flying over spring break.

Students, staff and faculty are able to take advantage of the shuttle services provided, which are completely free of charge.

“Students, staff, and faculty can ride to and from Kroger Field to Blue Grass Airport (LEX), Louisville International Airport (SDF), and Cincinnati/Northern Kentucky International Airport (CVG). This service is offered in partnership with the Student Transportation Council,” the department said via a Feb. 13 email. 

To secure a spot in the shuttle, sign-up for a ride on UK Transportation Services’ website. Riders must sign-up at least one day prior to scheduled departure.

The vans and shuttles provided typically seat 14 passengers and have a baggage compartment on board. Riders will be able to utilize the baggage compartment on the shuttle for luggage if needed.

According to the email, the shuttles will pick up riders at Kroger Field on Monday, Mar. 10, at 7:30 a.m. and 1:00 p.m. to take them to their desired airport.

For riders who are in need of a way to get to Kroger Field, on-campus buses run to Kroger Field. The Blue and White routes begin at 6:45 a.m. and run every 7-10 minutes.

Transportation services suggested students leave their residence halls 30 minutes before their shuttle departure time to ensure they do not miss their shuttle appointment.

The shuttles will also be picking up students, staff and faculty from these airports upon their return to campus on Sunday, Mar. 19. The return trips are scheduled for 12:00 p.m. and 7:00 p.m. 

The yellow bus route will be available to take those that have returned to campus from Kroger Field to their residence halls or other destinations on campus.

On Sunday, Mar. 19, the yellow route will begin running at 9:00 a.m. instead of the usual start time of noon.

A minimum of three shuttles will be provided on both Mar. 10 and Mar. 19. There will be at least one shuttle to each airport, according to Lindsey Piercy, UK’s director of digital strategies and a public relations officer.

“We’ve been providing this service for several years now, starting out with offering service to Blue Grass Airport. In 2018-19, we added service to Cincinnati and Louisville airports,” Piercy said.

UK Transportation Services encourages those with questions concerning the airport shuttles to visit their website or to email UK Transportation services.