Kentucky womens basketball announces Jordy Griggs as first signee

Kentucky head coach Kyra Elzy watches the UK vs. Princeton womens basketball game in the first round of the NCAA Tournament on Saturday, March 19, 2022, at Assembly Hall in Bloomington, Indiana. Princeton won 69-62. Photo by Jack Weaver | Staff

Samantha Money, Assistant Sports Editor

Four-star prospect Jordy Griggs has signed with the Kentucky womens basketball team for the 2023-2024 season.

The 6’2 guard from Moreno Valley, California, has a 91-scout grade by ESPN and averaged 21 points and 9.6 rebounds per game last season.

Her commitment marks the first for the 2023-2024 season for the Cats.

Griggs has amassed several awards during her basketball career thus far, including being named the 2022 She Got Game Classic Most Valuable Player after she scored 33 points and obtained 23 rebounds in the game.

Last summer, Griggs was invited to the 2021 USA U16 Trials. She was one of only 34 athletes to be extended this offer.

Griggs also was awarded an invitation to the WOOTTEN Top 150 Camp as well as the Steph Curry Underrated Camp.

Griggs currently plays for Club Durant on the Nike EYBL Circuit under the leadership of Tamika Dudley, who was named the 2022 USA Today High School Sports Awards Girls Team Coach of the Year.

Despite being a California native, she will play her senior year starting this winter at Montverde Academy in Montverde, Florida. Its program took the 2022 GEICO High School Nationals Championship title this past spring.

“I am thrilled to introduce Jordy Griggs to the Big Blue Nation,” head coach Kyra Elzy said in a press release. “Fans will love the energy that she exudes on the court. Jordy has the potential to make an immediate impact on our program. She plays with a high motor and is gifted with great length and athleticism.”