Not the superior Cats; Kentucky finishes ninth in Bearcat Invitational

Dhaivat Pandya competes during the Bearcat Invitational. Photo provided by UK Athletics.

Ian Alvano, Staff Writer

Kentucky mens golf finished in ninth place in the Bearcat Invitational in Cincinnati, Ohio on Tuesday.

The hosts, the Cincinnati Bearcats, were too much for the rest of the field as they won the
tournament at 7-under-par.

Kentucky finished the tournament 13-over-par, taking ninth in the tournament.

The Bearcat Invitational was held at Coldstream Country Club in Cincinnati, the home course of the Bearcats, and featured Cincinnati, North Carolina Greensboro, Louisville, Illinois State, Memphis, Ball State, Sam Houston State, Rutgers, Kentucky, Santa Clara, Lamar, Miami Ohio and Xavier.

After the first day of play the Wildcats found themselves tied for seventh after shooting 6-over-par, while Greensboro sat in the lead as the second round was still ongoing at the conclusion of Kentucky’s round.

Ultimately, the Spartans would lose their lead and finish second in the invitational behind the hosts.

Dhaivat Pandya led Kentucky after the first day, finishing tied for 19th on the day shooting even-par, a 71, on the day.

Jackson LaLonde went low in the first round after recording five birdies and an eagle, securing a career-low round for the senior at 3-under-par (68).

Pandya was impressive for the Cats as well, shooting a 69 in the second round of the invitational, to earn the aforementioned tie for 19th overall on the day, with four birdies helping him to shoot his best round of the season.

Following the second and final day, Alex Goff and Pandya found themselves tied for 14th place, both combining for seven birdies in their final round with Goff shooting a 68 and Pandya shooting a 71.

While not the ideal result on the invitational, Kentucky’s future appeared to be in good hands with solid performances from its underclassmen.

Freshman Kevin Watts finished tied for 33rd shooting just 1-over-par (72) while redshirt freshman Andrew Clark finished tied with his career-best of 71.

The Wildcats ultimately tied for the second most birdies in the tournament with 48 despite the lower overall finish.

The low scoring holes are something Kentucky will hope to continue to dominate in, with a crucial weekend coming up as the

Cats travel to Old Overton Club in Birmingham, Alabama to participate in the SEC Match Play Championship.

The tournament begins Saturday, Sept. 25, and goes until Monday, Sept. 27.