UK Board of Trustees morning meetings see many approvals

McKenna Horsley

UK Board of Trustees committees met this morning and approved several new changes for the next academic year. 

In the Academic and Student Affairs committee meeting, the committee approved the establishment of several new degree programs set to begin in fall 2016. These were: 

• Bachelor of Liberal Studies degree with a major of Liberal Studies in the College of Arts and Sciences
  • Bachelor of Science degree with a major in Digital Media and Design in the College of Fine Arts
  • Master of Science degree with a major in Research Methods in Education in the College of Education

The Academic and Student Affairs committee also approved the transfer of the Bio-systems Engineering undergraduate major from the College of Engineering to the College of Agriculture, Food and Environment and the establishment of the Arts Administration department in the College of Fine Arts. 

The Academic and Student Affairs committee approved several revisions to the Student Code of Conduct, including a definition of consent and harassment. 

The University Athletics committee also met Friday morning. Athletics director Mitch Barnhart informed the committee on various accomplishments from student athletes, including 18 of 20 teams ending the year with a 3.0 team GPA. 

During this meeting, Barnhart announced a statue commemorating the four first African-American UK football players to play in the SEC will be unveiled on Sept. 22. 

The Athletics committee approved the Athletics Department’s budget for the next fiscal year, which includes a 33 percent reduction in the student athletics fee. 

The Audit and Compliance Committee met Friday morning and approved a Proposed Internal Audit Fiscal Year Work Plan for the 2016-2017 fiscal year, which must be approved yearly. 

The entire Board of Trustees met this morning at 8:00 a.m. In this meeting, discussion behind closed doors about President Eli Capiluoto’s appointment as university president was held. No action was taken on his appointment.

Meetings will resume at 1:00 p.m. with the Finance committee. See the full meeting schedule and agenda here