UK senior competes in ‘Jeopardy!’ College Championship

Zach Atwell of Lexington will be the second UK student to ever compete on the Jeopardy! College Championship, to air on Friday, February 17 on CBS/WKYT.

Kelsey Mattingly

For the second time in UK history, a Wildcat will compete in the ‘Jeopardy!’ College Championship on Monday, Feb.13.

Zach Atwell, a senior economics major, is one of 15 students selected to participate in the competition that includes both a $100,000 grand prize and a berth in the next edition of the Tournament of Champions.

“I couldn’t believe it when I got the call confirming me as a contestant. I was super excited that I was finally achieving that dream, and that I’d be able to represent UK on Jeopardy!,” Atwell said.

Every year, Jeopardy! creates an online test specifically for college students. The test is made up of 50 questions with eight seconds to type in an answer for each. If they reach a certain score, the student is extended an initiation to audition in person, according to Atwell. 

“During the audition I took another 50 questions test, played a mock game of Jeopardy and interviewed with the contestant coordinators,” Atwell said.

When he received the call in December, confirming him for the show, Atwell and his family were ecstatic. It had been a dream of his since he was young, he said. 

According to Atwell, one of his friends, Barrett Block competed in the 2013 Jeopardy! Teen Tournament and encouraged him to try out.

Since he was young, Atwell said he religiously watched the show and added participating to his bucket list.

“I just love trivia and knew it was something that I had to try,” Atwell said.

He has spent hours studying and preparing questions from all different subjects. Looking over J! Archive questions online and brushing up on current events has proved to be the most helpful for Atwell in training, according to Atwell.

“I believe I’m only the second student to have competed on the show, but hopefully I’m not the last!” Atwell said. “I just want to encourage anyone who is a fan of the show to try out!”

The ‘Jeopardy!’ College Championship begins Monday, Feb. 13. Atwell’s episode airs Feb. 17 at 7:30 p.m. on CBS/WKYT.