Facing $200 million five-year budget gap, UK calls for important discussion

UK president Eli Capilouto listens to Kentucky governor Matt Bevin address the Commonwealth with his budget on Tuesday, January 26, 2016 at the Capitol building in Frankfort, Ky. 

News Staff

President Eli Capilouto called for an “Important Campus Conversation” in a campus-wide email about potential decreases in state funding.

We’ve been here before,” Capilouto said in the email. “Since 2008, our annual state support has been reduced by nearly $70 million. Further reductions are being considered as the General Assembly builds the state budget for 2018-19 and 2019-20.”

According to the email, UK anticipates a $200 million budget gap over the next five years if current spending stays the same and funding continues to decrease.

We must develop long-term solutions now,” Capilouto said.

UK will look to build a “forward-thinking” budget through an open conversation between administrators, faculty, staff and students.

Capilouto said UK has created a website where the UK community can find news and provide ideas. 

Capilouto thanked members of the campus community for their commitment and said he would inform them of key milestones in this process.