Kentucky women’s tennis suffers sweep to South Carolina and Florida

Aidan Dillard-Hijikata
Kentucky women’s tennis gathers in a huddle before the start of their match vs Missouri on Mar. 29, 2024 in Lexington Kentucky at Hilary J. Boone Tennis Center. Kentucky won the match 4-0. Photo by Aidan Dillard-Hijikata | Staff

Kentucky women’s tennis fell to No.17 South Carolina and No. 13 Florida with a score of 4-0 in both matches, moving to 2-8 in conference play.

In doubles play, to start the evening in Lexington, Kentucky, South Carolina won the point to take an early lead over the Cats. 

The first match to conclude was on court one, as No. 44 Makayla Mills and Elizabeth Stevens lost 1-6.

To secure the point, South Carolina quickly claimed the victory over Julia Zhu and Ellie Myers on court three. 

With a score of 4-1 in favor for Ellie Eades and Zoe Hammond on court two, the match was left unfinished.

Moving on to the singles matches, the Wildcats struggled to put points on the board despite their best efforts. 

The first Cat to fall was Zhu, losing in straight sets, 6-6 (7-5), 6-3, and giving the Gamecocks a 2-0 lead. 

Stevens played No.12 Sarah Hamner and prevailed 6-3 in the opening set, but ultimately lost 3-6, 1-6. 

The clincher for the Gamecocks came by a victory on court one, where No.6 Ayana Akli defeated Hammond. 

Similar to Stevens, Hammond prevailed 6-4 in the opening set, but in the next two, she came up short 4-6, 3-6.

In its second match of the weekend, Kentucky honored Mills and Maialen Morante for senior day.  

No. 13 Florida swept the Cats 4-0 in Kentucky’s last match at the Hilary J. Boone Complex this season.  

The Gators grabbed the early lead, winning quick on court three doubles 6-0, and getting a close win on court two over Eades and Hammond 6-4.  

Eades was the first to fall in singles on court three in straight sets 6-2, 6-0 giving Florida the 2-0 lead.  

Myers was the next to fall in straight sets 6-3, 6-0 on court five, followed by Julia Zhu 6-4, 6-0 to end the match.  

“We’re growing and we’re learning a lot every week and it’s okay if it doesn’t show up on the scoreboard for us right now,” head coach Shelley Jaudon said after the match. “We want to make sure that we sort of empty the tank if you will, as we close out the regular season.” 

Kentucky is now 8-12 on the season and will travel to Tennessee and Georgia from Friday, April 12-14, to finish out the regular season.