Stewart Home & School: Cultivating community and empowering lives through inclusive education

“Stewart Home & School: Cultivating community and empowering lives through inclusive education” was produced during the 2023 Picture Kentucky Workshop in Frankfort, Kentucky, where students were randomly assigned subjects in the area to follow and complete a photo story over the course of four days. 

Through shared moments of horse rides to karaoke sessions, Stewart Home & School cultivates a community for students with intellectual disabilities. 

Nestled in the rolling hills of Frankfort, Kentucky, the school redefines education by celebrating inclusivity for everyone. 

The school assists its students to lead independent lives by offering education that isn’t just about academics but helps develop self-confidence and communication skills that prepare students for life beyond the school’s gates. 

From art and music to sports and fitness, the school nurtures the culture of self-discovery and praises their individual abilities. 

The Equine Therapy Program is popular among students as they participate in riding horses, driving carriages or simply helping with the daily horse tasks. 

Equestrian Program Director Betsy Grewe said that she sees the students learn and grow their skills and independence through their work with the horses. 

“I love seeing their little successes like being able to groom or ride on their own, that’s my favorite thing about what I do,” Grewe said. 

Along with horses, the school has chickens that student Andrew Adams brought from home to help him relax. 

“He speaks through the chickens,” health teacher Jeremy West said. “He doesn’t really like to talk without them.” 

West said that one month after Adams arrived at the school with his chickens, he said he never wanted to leave and that it’s his new home. 

A home for students aged 18 to 89, it allows students to live a normal life as their everyday routine consists of going to classes, taking weekly trips and free time throughout the day. 

With activities like homecoming dances and flag-football games, the students are able to participate in things they are passionate about and can partake in special olympics sports, learn new skills and expand their abilities. 

“Everyone deserves to have these experiences,” Assistant Superintendent Kerrie McIntyre said. “They get to live here and truly experience life.”