No. 10 Kentucky outlasts No. 13 Alabama, sets new program record

Hailey Davis performs her floor routine during the Florida vs. Kentucky gymnastics meet on Friday, Feb. 18, 2022, at Memorial Coliseum in Lexington, Kentucky. UK lost 197.350-97.575. Photo by Michael Clubb | Staff

Colton Johnson, Reporter

No.10 Kentucky (4-2) set a new program record when it defeated No.13 Alabama (2-2) 197.825-197.375 in its first home meet inside Memorial Coliseum, scoring season highs on all four events.

Kentucky started out behind after the first rotation of vault despite all six gymnasts scoring above 9.800, with junior Isabella Magnelli posting a career high 9.925.

Several season and career highs were set when the Wildcats moved on to the uneven bars, with seniors Kaitlin Deguzman and Shealyn Luksik scoring career highs with respective scores of 9.925 and 9.950.

Senior Raena Worley and junior Bailey Bunn both posted season highs on the bars with Worley scoring a 9.925 and Bunn scoring a 9.850.

Kentucky took the lead after more personal bests were set on the balance beam with Magnelli scoring a near perfect 9.975, a new career high.

Worley wasn’t far behind scoring a career high 9.950. Luksik and sophomore Jillian Procasky also set new milestones with Procasky scoring a career high 9.900, and Luksik scoring a season high 9.800.

The Wildcats rounded out the night on the floor as Worley and junior Hailey Davis both scored a 9.950, setting a career high for Davis and a season high for Worley.

Worley led the cats for the third meet in a row, scoring a 39.675 on her way to claiming the overall individual scoring title for the meet. She scored season highs on the floor and uneven bars and recorded a career high on the balance beam.

Magnelli also had an impressive outing, not scoring below a 9.900 on the three events she competed in and putting up career highs on the vault and balance beam.

The win brings Kentucky’s record to 4-2 on the season. The Wildcats will look to stay hot when they go on the road to take on No.14 Missouri at the Tiger Performance Complex in Columbia, Missouri, on Friday, Feb. 3, at 6 p.m. EST.