Annual Campus Safety Report shows UK crime statistics

Jack Weaver

Police work a scene after responding to reports of shots being fired on University Avenue on Thursday, Sept. 8, 2022, in Lexington, Kentucky. Photo by Jack Weaver | Staff

Grace Medley, Reporter

On Sept. 28, the University of Kentucky Police Department (UKPD) sent an email containing the 2022 Annual Campus Safety and Security Report. The report detailed safety instances occurring on UK’s campus. 

The report showed data pertaining to reported incidents occurring from the years 2019-2021. The incidents included in the report occurred on campus, at off-campus properties belonging to UK and at properties next to campus. 

On pages 147 to 179 of the report, the crime statistics for all UK campuses are presented in tables. They are denoted by what crime was committed and which campus it occurred on. 

UK’s main campus in Lexington, Kentucky, had a decrease in both arrests and disciplinary referrals for drug abuse and liquor law violations. Similarly, dating violence and stalking incidents declined or remained the same over the years. Domestic violence offenses, however, had a slight increase from 11 in 2019 to 15 in 2021.

The report also contained a link to the 2022 Annual Fire Safety Report, how to make reports to UKPD, safety notices, various policies and other important information.

The email contained a link to the UKPD crime log. The crime log contains arrest and report information as well as any other activity taken by UKPD. It is updated Monday thru Friday once every 24 hours.

The email urged anyone to call UKPD at (859) 258-8573 to report criminal behavior on campus.