Fourth-degree assaults reported in library

By Drew Teague

The UK Police Department issued a crime bulletin Wednesday, warning students of fourth-degree assaults that have occurred on campus early this week.

In the bulletin, UKPD stated that the assaults occurred Monday evening in the basement of the William T. Young Library.

The bulletin said, “In both incidents the victims reported that the suspect crawled under the study desk and used an unknown object to puncture their feet.”

UK spokeswoman Kathy Johnson said in an email to the Kernel that both victims were females wearing sandals.

Johnson said that UKPD is looking into cameras from the Young Library to see if they can view the suspect.

One victim was able to get a description of the suspect, Johnson said. The suspect is described as a white male, 5 feet 8 inches to 6 feet tall, short hair (possible buzz hair cut), with a hat and bright orange shorts or shoes, the bulletin said. He was last seen walking toward vending machines in the library basement.

Both victims sought medical attention on their own after the event, and the extent of their injuries is unknown to UKPD, Johnson said.

UKPD did not issue a UK Alert Monday because the occurrence did not fit the description of an event needing such an alert, Johnson said, citing the Office of Emergency Management’s Timely Warning Policy.

“Campus Crime Bulletins will be issued when a crime has occurred that represents a potential threat or ongoing danger to the safety of the campus community that may not require immediate action but is still deemed important,” the policy said.

UK Police Chief Joe Monroe could not be reached for comment before press.