UK spent nearly $1 million on snow removal last year

A UK facilities worker shovels the sidewalk after the first snowfall on campus of 2016 on Wednesday, January, 20, 2015 in Lexington, KY.

Marjorie Kirk

UK sent out an alert Thursday afternoon that said classes would be canceled Friday, only two days after the first snow of the year.

Costs due to severe weather nearly doubled the how much the university spent on snow removal, from $543,000 for the 2013-14 fiscal year and $997,000 for the 2014-2015 fiscal year.

Grounds and Garage Manager George Riddle said even if the cost of snow removal exceeds the budget for the Physical Plant Division, the university will continue to ensure that campus is safe for students.

An email sent to staff Wednesday said it would be unlikely that classes would be canceled or delayed, and that decisions are based off of road conditions, weather reports and the operation of businesses and transit.

The past two years have been unseasonably cold for Lexington, and the amount of snowfall has increased exponentially.

UK Dining’s winter weather hours said that Fresh Food Co. and Blazer Dining Hall will maintain their regular hours in the event of cancellation, though Bowman’s Den and other restaurants in the 90 will close early.