UK soccer’s Soucie named SEC Defensive Player of the Week

Sophomore goalkeeper Evangeline Soucie gaurds the goal during the game against LSU on Friday, September 29, 2017 in Lexington, Ky. Kentucky won 3 to 0. Photo by Kaitlyn Gumm | Staff

Sports Staff

After her elite play against No. 11 LSU last week, UK women’s soccer goalkeeper Evangeline Soucie has been named SEC Defensive Player of the Week.

In the 3-0 win against the Tigers, Soucie recorded three saves in her first shutout of an SEC team, giving the Cats their first win against a ranked SEC opponent this season. The sophomore from Milford, New Jersey has recorded four shutouts already this season, which is already more than she got all of last season in which she started every game.

Soucie made the SEC All-Freshman Team a year ago, as well as earning SEC Freshman of the Week honors last September. Her elite defensive performance came in the Cats’ first SEC win against a national powerhouse, giving UK fans hope for the team’s defense, which relies heavily on Soucie’s play, moving forward.

The Cats are now 6-7-0, meaning that four of the Cats’ six wins have come when Soucie shuts out the other team. Her play is vital to the success of this UK squad, especially now that leading scorer Tanya Samarzich is out for the season with her injury.

Soucie and the Cats will host Vanderbilt next Thursday at 7:30 p.m. for Greek Night.