Car flipped on State Street belongs to non-UK student who was visiting friends

Students flip over a car on State Street on Saturday, September 8, 2018 in Lexington, Kentucky after the UK football team beat the Florida Gators 27-16, ending a 31-year losing streak. Photo by Arden Barnes | Staff

Bailey Vandiver

The car flipped multiple times on State Street after UK football’s win over Florida is likely totaled and belongs to a 19-year-old, non-UK student.

Matt O’Hara found out his car had been damaged Saturday night when he saw Barstool UK’s tweet with a video of it being flipped.

O’Hara is from Independence, Kentucky, and was visiting friends who live on Crescent Avenue to watch the game. He said he was in the University Drive area after the game.

“I love BBN and all, but there’s a line people have to realize between burning a couch and damaging a car,” O’Hara said. 

O’Hara’s mother, who is identified only by her first name Amy on Twitter, has started a GoFundMe to raise money to replace O’Hara’s car.

“When UK won, the students went nuts and started destroying my son’s car,” she wrote on the fundraiser page. “They ripped the doors off, shattered every window and then flipped over, totally destroying it.” 

She wrote that she’s not sure why “young people think it is okay to destroy other people’s property.” She ended with #AngryMom.

O’Hara said it would be “greatly appreciated” for anyone to help out. The GoFundMe page, which was created about an hour ago, has a goal of $5,000 and has not raised any money yet.

O’Hara also tweeted several times about his car. 

UK Police were on the scene after the car was flipped, but UK spokesperson Kathy Johnson said Lexington Police would be handling it because State Street is off campus. 

“I will always be a UK fan,” O’Hara said. “Even though this kinda sucks.” 

Here is a video of the car being flipped: