Patterson school starts iPad trial

By Nicole Schladt

An 18-month trial exploring the use of Apple’s iPad in higher education is underway at the University of Kentucky’s Patterson School of Diplomacy and International Commerce.

This trial marks the first time the iPad will be used by every student and faculty member within a professional graduate program. Currently, 38 students in the Patterson School will receive iPads through the trial, with another 35 from the 2011 incoming class joining over the next several months.

“The real example this sets is for professional schools,” retired Ambassador and Patterson School Director Carey Cavanaugh said. “If this trial works, it should work for the business and law schools here at UK and around the world.”

Cavanaugh hopes that incorporating the iPad into the Patterson School will prepare graduates for diplomacy and international business in the digital world.

The idea to launch a technology initiative within the Patterson School came to Cavanaugh last summer after he viewed a film that emphasized the significance of technology during elections in Iran.

“[The film] made it clear to me how important digital technology will be with international politics in the future,” Cavanaugh said. He wrote a letter to Apple headquarters suggesting the iPad trial, and within weeks planning was underway.

Apple is providing iPad technical assistance and training throughout the trial. Apple experts will also be working closely with UK’s software development team to determine ways in which iPad applications can be adapted to facilitate use in the classroom.

Several other individuals and companies throughout the United States, Canada and Europe are supporting the trial by donating accessories and applications.

“It was important to get outside support, because we wanted every student in the school to be able to use [an iPad] in the classroom,” Cavanaugh said.

Applications such as PressReader, created by NewspaperDirect Inc., provide students with over 1,700 full-content newspapers from around the world.

“[Our students will] have daily access to over 1,000 newspapers,” Cavanaugh said. “If we had students from Iceland, they could read 11 newspapers from Iceland. We think it will really change things in the classroom.”

Other applications such as Teleprompt+ by Bombing Brain Interactive will allow Patterson School students to prepare and deliver speeches using a teleprompter on the iPad.

“We’re hoping apps like these can enhance the classroom experience,” Chase Cavanaugh, a first year Patterson School student, said.

Andrew Betson, another first year Patterson School student, agrees.

“The iPad basically provides you with all of your reading consolidated in one portable device,” Betson said. “It’s also a nice one-stop shop for social networking and e-mail.”

Students and faculty will also be documenting the full 18-month trial online at http://ipad.uky.edu.