No. 6 Kentucky gymnastics suffers close loss at LSU ahead of home opener

Samuel Colmar
Kentucky Wildcats senior Raena Worley performs her floor routine during the Kentucky vs. Eastern Michigan gymnastics meet on Friday, Feb. 10, 2023, at Memorial Coliseum in Lexington, Kentucky. Kentucky won 197.125 to 193.575. Photo by Samuel Colmar | Staff

No. 6 Kentucky gymnastics made its way to Baton Rouge, Louisiana,. to compete against No. 8 LSU on Friday night, suffering a close loss 198.125-197.600.

Despite the tough loss, fifth-year senior Raena Worley secured her 10th individual win on the beam, scoring second all around for the night  with 39.725, trailing right behind LSU’s Haleigh Bryant’s 39.825.

It was an overall successful night for Worley as she also tied her career best on the uneven bars, which she first executed earlier this season with a 9.975 in Las Vegas.

Kentucky started off the night strong on the bars, ending up with a total tally of 49.450.

Behind Worley, freshman Delaynee Rodriguez earned a career best of 9.900.

Kentucky Wildcats fifth year Arianna Patterson stretches before her floor routine during the No. 12 Kentucky vs. No. 9 Auburn gymnastics meet on Saturday, March 4, 2023, at Memorial Coliseum in Lexington, Kentucky. Kentucky won 197.675-196.450. Photo by Samuel Colmar | Staff (Samuel Colmar)

Annie Riegert and Bailey Bunn also stuck strong landings, each earning the same score of 9.875 from the judges.

Making her debut, freshman Cecily Rizo finished the event with a score of 9.825 while Cadence Gormley finished the event with a solid 9.775.

“Team 50” moved on to the vault for its second event of the night, ending with a final score of 49.440.

Redshirt fifth-year senior Arianna Patterson received the highest score (9.925) after executing her handspring front half while Makenzie Wilson trailed close behind with a 9.900.

Worley’s score of 9.875 held the rotation together, as did Rodriguez and Isabella Magnelli’s 9.850. Lastly, before moving to the floor, Rizo earned a 9.750.

The floor was the Wildcats’ strongest event of the night with the team earning a 49.475.

Worley tumbled her way to near perfection, earning a 9.950 for the second week in a row while Creslyn Brose earned a score of 9.925 and senior Hailey Davis left the crowd going wild, earning a 9.900.

Magnelli, Patterson, and Rodriguez each finished strongly as well, earning a 9.850 to conclude the event.

Kentucky concluded the meet by earning a 49.275 on the balance beam, which was the lowest score of the night.

Worley was the event winner on the floor with a 9.925 while Magnelli left Baton Rouge with a final score of 9.900.

Patterson and Rodriguez both executed strong efforts as they earned a 9.850. Bunn saved her fall on the beam but recorded the lowest score, finishing with a 9.500 in a show of perseverance.

With the result the Wildcats will make their home debut at Rupp Arena next Friday, Jan. 26th, against the Georgia Bulldogs for “Excite Night.”