What is known about the case of assault on UK’s campus

Jack Weaver

Kylah Spring, the victim of assault and racial slurs while working at Boyd Hall, stands in the middle of demonstrators during the March Against Racism on Monday, Nov. 7, 2022, at the University of Kentucky in Lexington, Kentucky. Photo by Jack Weaver | Staff

Rayleigh Deaton, Editor-in-Chief

UK student worker and freshman Kylah Spring was subjected to physical and verbal assault while working a night shift as a desk clerk in UK’s Boyd Hall residence hall. 

The former student charged with the crime, 22-year-old Sophia Rosing, is facing criminal charges of assault and intoxication in a public place.

Here is what is currently known:

Sunday, Nov. 6

According to a video Spring shared on social media, Rosing arrived at Boyd Hall around 1 or 1:15 a.m. Sunday. However, because Rosing “did not look like a resident,” Spring did not open the door. 

Spring said when Rosing came into the lobby, she was stumbling and began talking to the elevator, appearing intoxicated. 

“It is a part of our job (as desk clerk) that if we see a student that’s, like, very drunk, we are to call an RA to … write up a report,” Spring said.

The video Spring posted showed Rosing resisting Spring and another student’s attempts to sit her down, as well as repeatedly calling the students and a UK police officer racial slurs and hitting them. 

Rosing was arrested and booked around 3 a.m. Sunday, charged with alcohol intoxication in a public place – 1st and 2nd offenses; assault 3rd degree – police officer or prob officer; assault 4th degree (no visible injury) and disorderly conduct, 2nd degree. 

According to her arrest citation, Rosing bit the arresting officer and said she has “lots of money” and gets “special treatment” while continuing to say racial slurs. Because she had no identification on her at the time of arrest, she was referred to as “Jane Doe” on the citation.

Later that day, UK posted a statement on Instagram, saying the university is conducting “an immediate review,” calling the incident “disturbing.”

Rosing had an ambassador position with Dillard’s and College Fashionista; on Monday afternoon, both companies released statements condemning her actions and saying her affiliation with the brands was terminated.

Monday, Nov. 7

While being held in the Fayette County Detention Center, Rosing appeared in court Monday via video conference for her arraignment hearing during which she entered a not guilty plea.

That afternoon, she was released on fair cash bond, set at $10,000. Rosing’s bond is conditional on her having no contact with the victim or Boyd Hall and no use of alcohol. She will appear in court again on Nov. 15 for her preliminary hearing.

UK released a statement Monday from the Office of Student Conduct, saying the university had begun a disciplinary review process. Various campus and community organizations also released statements condemning the incident and calling for UK administrators to expel Rosing.

A statement from UK’s chapter of the National Association for the Advancement of Colored People (NAACP) called the incident an “attack” with “hate speech” and called for UK to “hold the perpetrator accountable to the highest extent in accordance with the University Code of Conduct.”

At 6 p.m. Monday, students and campus community members gathered at William T. Young Library for a March Against Racism, during which Spring spoke to demonstrators.

“I was physically, verbally and racially assaulted by Jane Doe A.K.A. Sophia Rosing, a 22-year-old student here at the University of Kentucky,” Spring said. “To my Black UK community, I see you, I feel you, and I stand with you.”

On Monday, a GoFundMe was set up to raise money for Spring.

Tuesday, Nov. 8

According to reporting from LEX 18 on Tuesday, Rosing’s attorney, Fred Peters, said she is “apologetic, humiliated, and withdrawing from UK.”

Wednesday, Nov. 9

On Wednesday afternoon, UK president Eli Capilouto sent a campus-wide email saying Rosing is no longer a student at UK, as she was suspended on an interim basis hours after Sunday’s incident.

Additionally, Capilouto said she is permanently banned from campus and is ineligible to re-enroll, calling her actions “disgusting and devastating to our community.”

He said investigations will continue through the Office of Institutional Equity and Equal Opportunity in accordance with the Code of Student Conduct.