Mural of William T. Young Library to be displayed on campus

Students paint a mural displaying William T. Young Library on Tuesday, Nov. 28, 2023, in the atrium of William T. Young Library in Lexington, Kentucky. Photo by Adah Hufana

University of Kentucky students began painting a mural for UK’s campus as part of a three-day long event on Tuesday, Nov. 28.

The interactive art piece event, located in the atrium of the William T. Young Library, was organized by the Student Activities Board (SAB) and will continue until Thursday, Nov. 30.

The mural is a paint-by-numbers project in which participants painted on a pre-drawn canvas labeled with numbers.

Once completed, the mural will portray the William T. Young Library and will be placed on campus, according to the SAB website.

Emma Grace Hague, a junior majoring in public health and the director of cultural arts for SAB, said she organized the event and had been thinking of putting it together for about a year.

“We were looking for a way to bring a little bit more art to the campus itself and allow students to not only see that art but to take part in the creation of it,” Hague said.

Students filtered in and out from 12:30 p.m. to 3 p.m. on Tuesday to paint the mural.

Some students said they learned about the event through the SAB Instagram page, and others found out about it as they were walking through the library.

Hague said she wanted the event to be student-focused and for students to feel that they are working together on a project.

“I hope that students are able to learn about the importance of their own work in the grand scheme of the community,” Hague said.

Aakshi Konduri, a junior majoring in public health and a member of SAB, said the event was an opportunity for students to feel proud of their work.

“It’s something to be proud of when you accomplish something, even when it’s as little as painting a little square on a big mural, it’s like, ‘I contributed to that, that makes me feel happy,’” Konduri said.

Harper Murphy, a freshman majoring in neuroscience, said she saw a sign about the event as she was walking outside from the Jacob Science Building and decided to participate.

“You don’t ever see anything like this,” Murphy said. “It’s different, but it’s fun and easy for everyone to do.”

Jennifer Tran, a sophomore majoring in social work, learned about the event through SAB’s Instagram.

“I think it’s really nice because you can come here and take your mind off of things, if you’re studying, you can take a break,” Tran said.

Tran said she went to the event with her friend Mattye Jackson, a sophomore majoring in psychology.

“It’s a lot of fun, it’s also very soothing,” Jackson said. “I think it’s good to leave your mark on the campus, you get to be a part of a piece of artwork put on campus that’ll be here for years to come.”

Murphy said she was looking forward to seeing the completed mural displayed on campus.

“I’m gonna walk up to it and be like, ‘I did that guys, that was all me, and like, 300 other people,’” Murphy said.

View Comments (1)