Denial of Kernel reporter’s interview access gains national coverage; mixed reactions from fans, journalists

National and local media outlets, professional reporting groups and scores of UK fans reacted to a story that garnered national coverage Tuesday when a Kernel reporter called two potential student athletes without going through UK Athletics.

When Kernel editor and basketball reporter Aaron Smith attempted to interview two walk-ons for the UK basketball team without first contacting Media Relations, his access to a set of one-on-one interviews with basketball players was revoked.

The Associated Press Managing Editors, a nationwide group of newspaper editors and broadcast news directors, issued a statement objecting to UK Athletics’ action.

Read the APME’s statement here

The group’s statement said the revocation of Smith’s access “amounts to no less than an attempt to bully the newspaper into submission and to censor news concerning operations of the University of Kentucky athletic department.”

Smith originally called the athletes, whose phone numbers were listed on the UK website’s directory, to confirm that they were, in fact, on the team. Freshman basketball player Anthony Davis tweeted Sunday night that they were, and Smith said he wanted to confirm the information through his own reporting.

The APME statement continued to say that the level of abuse of free speech demonstrated by the university is not tolerated at schools in other states and is “paticularly abhorrent at a taxpayer institution.”

The Associated Press Sports Editors sent a separate statement to the university, calling its decision to rescind access “disturbing on many levels.”

The statement, signed by APSE President Michael A. Anastasi, referred to the “abridgement of basic First Amendment rights to decide access issues based on what the publication writes.”

“This is a form of censorship, something institutions of higher learning should find as repulsive as the media do,” Anastasi said in the statement.

“Ultimately, the decision to talk to the media rests with the athlete and if you don’t want your players to talk to the media without the SID office interceding then you have to get that message to the athletes. And, we believe you did as the athletes in question chose not to talk.”

He also said that if the purpose of the one-on-one interview event was to train his players in dealing with the media, as Peevy was quoted saying, then the interview would be part of a learning process, and “maybe you can see that how this type of punishment is out of line with what you are trying to accomplish.”

Read the APSE’s statement here.

The local chapter of the Society of Professional Journalists, an organization comprised of reporters dedicated to ensuring the free press, also issued a statement saying its members were “strongly disappointed in the actions taken by the University of Kentucky Athletics Department against the independent student newspaper.”

“The Kentucky Kernel sports reporter was carrying out one of the most basic and important duties a journalist is charged with — trying to separate fact from fiction,” said Adam Baker, SPJ president for the Bluegrass Pro Chapter, in the statement sent to the Kernel via email.

Baker said UK officials can’t stop a reporter from asking a question, and their “excessive punishment” shouldn’t have been implemented, is an abuse of power and is a “shameful blow to the First Amendment.”

“Punishing a journalist for doing his or her job is unacceptable,” he said.

UK’s SPJ chapter president Brooke McCloud released a statement as well.

“We are taught as young journalists to serve those who seek information and deliver that information with the absolute truth,” McCloud said. “It is the foundation of democracy.