Spread love and knowledge on Valentine’s Day with UK’s safer sex week

Kernel news sig

Emily Laytham

UK will be celebrating Valentine’s Day in style this year with safer sex week.

Safer sex week is the joint effort of several campus organizations, including University Health Services, the Sexperts and the Violence and Prevention Center.

The week is designed to raise awareness for safe sex practices, said organizer Elizabeth Finley, especially for those UK students who “did not receive comprehensive sex education while they were in high school.”

“Knowing that the majority of students either have or will engage in some type of sexual activity, we want to make sure that they are provided the knowledge and resources to engage in those behaviors as safely as possible,” Finley said.

Finley said sexual health is often overlooked because the topic is taboo. Safer sex week aims to contest that belief by providing information about STI testing, condom usage, consent and birth control.

“We want to create an atmosphere where students are comfortable receiving education and resources about safer sex, so that they can model those behaviors to better their overall health and well-being,” she said. 

Students looking to participate will get their first chance on Tuesday, Feb. 12, with Cookies and Consent from noon to 2 p.m. in the VIP Center. During the event, students can eat cookies while the UK Sexperts and the VIP Center team up to discuss giving and receiving consent.

On Wednesday, Feb. 13, from noon to 2 p.m. in Room 231 of the Student Center, students can attend Cups and Hookups. The event will allow students to participate in an informative game about alcohol and safer sex, with the chance to win a free t-shirt.

To round out the week, students can attend The Sexual Pleasure Priority: Lunch and Learn from 12:30 to 1:30 p.m. in Room 330AB of the Student Center on Feb. 14. There, a speaker from the Sexual Health Promotion Lab will discuss the importance of sexual pleasure on overall health. The event will include free food, sexual health resources and t-shirts for those in attendance.