What to know about Kentucky gymnastics ahead of ‘Excite Night’

Samuel Colmar
The Kentucky gymnastics team poses for a photo during the Senior Day celebration after the No. 12 Kentucky vs. No. 9 Auburn gymnastics meet on Saturday, March 4, 2023, at Memorial Coliseum in Lexington, Kentucky. Kentucky won 197.675-196.450. Photo by Samuel Colmar | Staff

Kentucky gymnastics is set to host the home opener of its 50th season on Friday, hosting Georgia for “Excite Night.”

Fans familiar with the team will have some newness to get used to as the Cats will take the court at Rupp Arena for the 2024 season along with STUNT, volleyball and women’s basketball while Memorial Coliseum is under an $82 million renovation.

Memorial is set to reopen for the 2024-25 school year but, until then, the teams will compete at Rupp Arena.

With a new season underway and plenty of excitement following the team, the Kernel made a guide for anyone looking to follow Kentucky gymnastics.

Schedule 

The 2023-2024 season for Kentucky Gymnastics will consist of four home competitions, which will all take place at Rupp Arena. The team will also take on six opponents on the road.

In the midst of his 12th season, head coach Tim Garrison and the Wildcats open the home slate against the aforementioned Bulldogs. Kentucky will also host home meets versus Missouri, BYU and have their home finale against Florida.

The Wildcats kicked off their season overall at the Super 16 Gymnastics Championship in Las Vegas from January 5-7, defeating No. 6 Michigan and No. 11 Michigan State and falling against No. 1 Oklahoma.

Kentucky then traveled to start off SEC competition at Auburn, recording a win, before losing at LSU. The team will continue its road season at Alabama, Arkansas and UNC.

The Team

“Team 50” consists of many returners along with a handful of new gymnasts taking the floor as well. The Wildcats’ roster overall consists of 13 returners and six freshmen.

Last year, the team finished its conference season strong with a 5-2 record and a win percentage of .714. The Wildcats finished second in the SEC to Florida.

Garrison was named SEC Coach of the Year while Shealyn Luksik and Isabella Magnelli were named to the All-SEC team.

Coach Garrison also recently signed a contract extension to stay with the Wildcats through 2027 after having been a part of Kentucky gymnastics since 2012.

The Women’s Collegiate Gymnastics Association (WCGA) also recently announced its awards for the All-American Scholar Athlete Team for last season, with the Wildcats having 18 recipients.

Overall the Cats finished sixth in the country last season at Nationals, their highest ranking of all time, and hope to accomplish even more this season as Team 50.