Kentucky head coach John Calipari earns 400th win with Wildcats in win over Mississippi State

Isaiah Pinto
Kentucky head coach John Calipari interactions with fans ahead of the Kentucky vs. North Carolina mens basketball game on Saturday, Sec. 16, 2023, at State Farm Arena in Atlanta, Georgia. Kentucky won 87-82. Photo by Isaiah Pinto | Staff

With the Kentucky Wildcats’ 90-77 win over Mississippi State on Wednesday night, head coach John Calipari earned his 400th victory as the head coach of Kentucky.

“He’s the GOAT, that’s why I came here: Coach Cal,” freshman Aaron Bradshaw said. “Knowing he’s that good of a coach, you want to play for him. All respect for his coaching.”

With the win Calipari boasts an overall record of 400-116 at the helm of the Cats and is second behind the late Adolph Rupp in career wins (1,066) at Kentucky.

“That’s why I came here, to play with, you know, a hall of fame coach like Cal,” veteran Antonio Reeves said.

Through those 400 wins, Calipari has led the Wildcats to six SEC Tournament championships, 11 NCAA Tournament appearances, four Final Fours and one National Championship in 2012.

Despite achieving the large number of wins, Calipari’s mind is set on one thing and that is doing what is best for his basketball team in the long run.

“All I would say to you is (if) you stay long enough and you have enough really good players, a lot of those things happen,” he said. “I’m not doing this for numbers. I don’t even know what my record is. I could care less.”

As Calipari looks for win No. 401, the Wildcats host the Georgia Bulldogs on Saturday, Jan. 20, at 6 p.m. ET inside of Rupp Arena. Tip-off will air live on the SEC Network.