UK Board of Trustees approves $81 million residence hall construction plans

A blue circle outlines the area behind the University Flats where a four-story dorm awaits building plans. The build is awaiting legislative approval as the University of Kentucky has seen an influx in enrollment and demand for on-campus housing. (December 2023) Illustration by Abbey Cutrer.

An $81 million, four-story building with 644 beds for undergraduate students is awaiting legislative approval as the University of Kentucky has seen an influx in enrollment and demand for on-campus housing, according to a release from UKNOW

Upon approval, UK will be authorized to enter a long-term lease and pre-developmental agreement with Greystar Real Estate for the development and management of the new building, the release said.

The building is set to be built at the former location of the Kirwan/Blanding complex near 769 Woodland Ave. and to be the next phase of the 2011 housing project residence hall construction.

The previous three phases in this construction project, which most recently included the construction of University Flats, Lewis Hall and Lewis Honors College, totaled $449,282,847 million, according to UK Facilities Management New Housing Development

“We know that students perform better inside the classroom and are more involved outside the classroom when they live on campus,” UK President Eli Capilouto said in the release. “This plan will enable more students to take advantage of these important benefits, allowing us to continue our momentum to recruit, retain and graduate even more students in the years to come.”

The release said the demand for living on campus is at an all-time high. 

In addition to returning students, 85% of incoming students chose to live in on-campus housing. 

While the demand for housing is recognized, the release said the board “identified the need to expand and improve student housing facilities as a strategic priority.”

This was based on data that showed a rise in student dissatisfaction with housing and dining. 

“On Dec. 13, 2011, the university announced it would negotiate with EdR (now Greystar), a third-party developer, to improve, expand and potentially manage student housing,” the release said.

The university has since completed a four-year project, which added more than 6,800 beds in 14 residence halls as part of its “public-private partnership strategy.” 

As of fall 2023, UK totaled 8,100 beds for students with 1,900 residents moving into Tri-It spaces with movement to their fourth phase after recent legislative authorization, according to the release.