Kentucky men’s basketball lands five-star Jayden Quaintance over Missouri

Kentucky head coach John Calipari coaches his team during the Kentucky vs. Stonehill mens basketball game on Friday, Nov. 17, 2023, at Rupp Arena in Lexington, Kentucky. Kentucky won 101-67. Photo by Travis Fannon | Staff

Just two days after landing four-star point guard Travis Perry, the Kentucky men’s basketball program added another recruit from the 2024 class on Tuesday afternoon.

Five-star prospect Jayden Quaintance committed to Kentucky on Tuesday, making him the first 2024 five-star freshman to join the Wildcats next season.

The 6-foot, 9-inch center is nationally ranked No. 8 on the 247Sports composite rankings while also being ranked as the second best center in the country behind Kansas commit Flory Bidunga. 

Quaintance is recognized for his strong build, long wingspan (7-foot, 3-inch-plus) and his ability to be powerful in the paint while also grabbing rebounds.

While playing in the Overtime Elite league for the Holy Rams as a junior, the Cleveland native averaged 15.4 points, 10.9 rebounds and 3.5 blocks and was named to 2023 Men’s U16 national team.

John Calipari and Kentucky were clawing with the Missouri Tigers for Quaintance as both schools were funneled into his top two choices.

Prior to narrowing it down to Kentucky and Missouri, Quaintance received offers from other top programs like Florida, Alabama and Ohio State.

Quaintnace is not the only talented player to be touching down in Lexington next year as he will be joining four-stars Somto Cyril, Boogie Fland and Travis Perry as a part of the 2024 freshman class.

John Calipari may not be done recruiting the 2024 class as Karter Knox and Billy Richmond all have Kentucky included in their top five destinations.