Kentucky women’s swim and dive falls in season opener at Arkansas

Kentucky swimmers compete in the Blue and White Meet on Friday, Sept. 24, 2021, at the Lancaster Aquatic Center in Lexington, Kentucky. Photo by Jack Weaver | Staff

The Kentucky women’s swim and dive team traveled to Fayetteville, Arkansas, and was defeated by the Razorbacks in its season opener Friday afternoon.

The Wildcats fell 167.5 to 131.5 at the Arkansas Natatorium.

Individually, the Wildcats were able to total six individual wins, two each collected by

seniors Caroline Benda, in the 1000-meter freestyle and 500-meter freestyle, and Torie Buerger, in the 200-meter backstroke and 200-meter individual medley (IM).

The Wildcats were able to claim the top three spots in the 200-meter IM with Buerger swimming a 2:05:65 and being followed by Benda at a 2:06:33. Finishing in a close third was Anna Havnes

Rice at 2:06.73.

In the 200-meter backstroke, Buerger finished with a time of 2:00.23, adding another win to

her night, and was closely followed by sophomore Grace Fredricks, who had a time 2:00:27 to secure a close second.

In the 1000-meter freestyle, Kentucky took the top two spots with Benda coming in first with a time of 10:02:81 while freshman Libby Grether followed with a time of 10:18:58.

Two individual wins were also picked up by junior Abby Devereaux for diving. She claimed both the one and three meter dives.

Devereaux accomplished NCAA zone standard scores for both of her springboard events, collecting 290.70 points on the three-meter and 274.88 on the one-meter.

In their dual meet on October 4, both Kentucky’s men’s and women’s teams will travel to

Bloomington, Indiana, hoping to make a splash against the Hoosiers. Diving will begin at 10 a.m. ET followed by swimming at 1:30 p.m. ET.