Five-star guard DJ Wagner commits to Kentucky over Louisville

Isabel McSwain

Kentucky Wildcats head coach John Calipari celebrates a play during the No. 4 Kentucky vs. Duquesne mens basketball game on Friday, Nov. 11, 2022, at Rupp Arena in Lexington, Kentucky. UK won 77-52. Photo by Isabel McSwain | Staff

Tyler Russell, Reporter

DJ Wagner, the number one mens basketball recruit in the class of 2023, told ESPN’s National Director of Recruiting, Paul Biancardi, that he has committed to the University of Kentucky on Monday afternoon. 

Wagner’s commitment was up in the air for months as the star was unsure about where he wanted to end up.

“I am just happy that I was able to finally commit,” he said to Biancardi. “It’s time to focus on my high school season and my future.”

The New Jersey native averaged 19.6 points, 4.3 rebounds and 3.3 assists in his junior season at Camden High School. With these stats, Wagner was named the 2021-22 NJ Boys Basketball Player of the Year. 

Interestingly, Wagner’s decision came down to the wire with the highly touted star being recruited by both Kentucky and Louisville, two teams that comprise one of the biggest rivalries in college basketball. 

Wagner’s grandfather, Milt Wagner, spent his collegiate career as a Louisville Cardinal where he won the 1986 national championship alongside current Louisville head coach and former Kentucky associate head coach Kenny Payne. 

Because of this connection, many national reporters such as Adam Finkelstein of 247sports believed Wagner was going to end up a Cardinal. 

“It was hard picking between these two schools because I have family on both sides,” Wagner stated. “Knowing I had support on both sides made me comfortable though.” 

Kentucky head coach John Calipari recruited the class of 2023 heavily with Wagner now being the fourth five-star from the class to decide to bring their talents to Lexington, giving the Wildcats the No. 1 overall recruiting class in 2023.  

Some notable freshmen that Wagner will be teaming up with next fall include Justin Edwards (No. 2 overall recruit), Wagner’s current teammate Aaron Bradshaw (No. 6) and Robert Dillingham (No. 9), who are all five-stars. In addition to the five stars, Wagner will also be teaming up with four-star Reed Sheppard (No. 29).

“Kentucky is like a family, I have former teammate Lance Ware, my brother Kareem Watkins, and my current teammate Aaron Bradshaw,” Wagner stated. 

He went on to explain that this played a huge role in his commitment as well.

With the announcement, Big Blue Nation is gearing up to cheer on one of the best recruiting classes in the school’s history next season, while it also cheers on a veteran-led Kentucky team with real national championship ambitions this season.