TikTok star Sister Cindy brings ‘slut-shaming show’ to UK

Morgan Simmons

Students listen to TikTok star Cindy Smock, better known as Sister Cindy, on Tuesday, Nov. 8, 2022, at Memorial Hall in Lexington, Kentucky. Photo by Morgan Simmons | Kentucky Kernel

Laurel Swanz, Reporter

TikTok star Cindy Smock, better known as Sister Cindy, brought her famed “slut-shaming” to UK on Tuesday, Nov. 8.

Smock, 63, is a traveling evangelical preacher who went viral on TikTok in 2021 for her controversial, Gen-Z-targeted approach to spreading her Christian views.

Smock preached at the amphitheater behind UK’s Memorial Hall on Nov. 8 as a part of her “Brother Jed Memorial Tour.” She attracted a large crowd of students in the three hours she spoke, most of whom were previously familiar with her social media presence.

Some students eagerly camped out for Smock’s arrival, arriving over 20 minutes before Smock began preaching.

“I came to UK to bring the ‘ho no mo’ revolution, which means sin no mo. No more sin. Turn from your sins and follow the Lord Jesus Christ,” Smock said.

“Ho no mo” is Smock’s most popular catchphrase, found on the pins she handed out to students when they answered her questions. The crowd cheered the phrase along with Smock and engaged in her sermon.

Many students in attendance said their support for Smock was an ironic joke, and they don’t agree with practicing abstinence in the name of Jesus Christ.

“I’ve been seeing her on TikTok for, like, years and I think she’s hilarious,” freshman business management major Claudia McCowan said. “I’m not a Christian, so I don’t agree with anything she really says, but I think it’s so funny to watch her.”

While preaching, Smock emphasized that students, women specifically, should abstain from sex.

“I want to welcome you to the Sister Cindy Slut-Shaming Show,” Smock said. “I have a question for you young ladies from God … have you completely lost your minds? Do you even have a working brain cell? What were you thinking this weekend? You let him put his penis where?”

However, while some students enjoyed the entertainment, they did not agree with Smock’s message.

“I will say, (Smock’s message) is a little bit sexist,” freshman business and theater major Stevie Collins said. “I think we all got tricked into coming to a Bible study.”

Other students saw some truth to what she had to say.

“I think it’s really inspiring for college kids because … you’re surrounded by this environment and sometimes it can be really draining, and it (hookup culture) is just like normalized, but yeah. I am definitely a Sister Cindy fan!” freshman Sami Graham said.

The shock factor of an older lady bouncing around calling popular female musicians like Nicki Minaj and Megan Thee Stallion “establishment hoes” while reciting their vulgar lyrics caused students to stop and stare.

“After being here for a while, I’m really not sure what her message actually is, but I’m here for the entertainment,” freshman Kauner Shacklette said.

Some students attempted to get a rise out of Smock by wearing provocative clothing to the event.

“She’s all over Tik Tok, I’ve followed her for years, and I decided I have the perfect shirt – my gay shirt. Let’s just see if she could slut shame me, y’know,” Zowe Steward, freshman English major, said.

Smock asked one student in front of the entire crowd, “Did your father approve of that outfit? You’re better than that.”

The student responded by twirling so the audience could get a better view, resulting in whoops and hollers.

Smock seemed to never run out of anecdotes. One, reminiscent of the children’s book “If You Give a Mouse a Cookie,” detailed why you should never take a UK girl to a Mexican restaurant. She’ll want a margarita, and it’s all downhill from there.

“If you buy her one margarita she will spread her legs,” Smock said. “After the fifth margarita she will strap it on and peg you.”

Smock has learned how to get college students to listen, after 44 years of evangelism.

“Gen Z is just generally more receptive to my message than the millennials were. And I think that’s part of the reason that the message is still the basic same message, but it has adapted and changed some,” Smock said.