No. 3 Kentucky defeats Georgia Southern 6-0 to remain undefeated

Kentucky celebrates forward Ben Damge’s (27) goal during the University of Kentucky vs. Duquesne men’s soccer game on Sunday, Sept. 12, 2021, at the Bell Soccer Complex in Lexington, Kentucky. UK won 3-1. Photo by Michael Clubb | Staff

Grace Kennedy, Reporter

No. 3 Kentucky mens soccer (9-0-2) defeated Georgia Southern (1-10) at the Bell on Sunday night to remain undefeated on the season.

The first goal for Kentucky came in the 13’ as Enzo Mauriz won the ball from the GSU defense and played it to Ben Damge, who sent it into the net for a 1-0 lead.

UK held possession throughout the whole game despite the physical contact from both sides, being relentless in attack after having 14 goals scored in its past three games.

Kentucky head coach Johan Cedergren seems to be pleased with the play of his athletes.

“It’s something that we’ve worked on ever since the start of pre-season with our shape,” Cedergren said. “So far this year, no matter who we’re playing, they’re coming out and giving 100%.”

The Wildcats’ second goal would be scored in the 30’ after Mauriz’s pass to Nick Gutmann on the right side of the box instead fell for Eythor Bjorgolfsson, who sent the ball into the net.

All focus shifted back to Damge as he scored his second goal of the match, being assisted by Casper Grening, to make it 3-0, earning the praise of Cedergren for, not just what he brings on the pitch, but off it as well.

“Ben Damge is a goal scorer,” Cedergren said. “He’s always been a goal scorer. He came to camp two years in a row, and we are super intrigued in trying to make sure that it worked. He’s in the honors college, a very smart student and academics is important to him.”

With just 15 minutes left in the match, Mauriz scored again to make it 4-0 in favor of Kentucky.

“The boys are a very hungry group,” Cedergren said. “We train with a lot of intensity in practice to make the game easier.”

Kentucky refused to be satisfied as Damge was fouled in the box, going on to convert the penalty-kick for a hat-trick and bringing the score to 5-0.

Kentucky scored a final time in the 89’ courtesy of Mason Leeth, who was assisted by Martin Soereide.

“I love the intensity and the work grade and they’re definitely team first,” Cedergren said. “I am very proud of them.”

With the win in the books, all focus turns toward next week as Kentucky takes on No. 22 Dayton, with the Cats hoping to keep their undefeated streak alive.

Kentucky and Dayton are scheduled to kick off on Wednesday, Oct. 12, with start-time slated for 7:00 p.m. EST at the Bell and being streamed on ESPN+.