DanceBlue raises money and awareness

DanceBlue is a sure-fire way for students to realize the hardships of having cancer while raising money to benefit the disease. For those who have been living under a rock while attending UK, DanceBlue is the all-night dance-a-thon in which students dance for 24 hours to raise money for cancer awareness. Students who participate know that dancing for 24 hours isn’t the easiest thing in the world to do. This demonstrates what DanceBlue is all about, not only to the students themselves, that the battle with cancer is a tough burden to carry but also to any observer.

If UK offered more programs that put students through a demonstration that they may not enjoy but would raise money for a good cause the longer they took part in it, an overwhelming amount of charity money could be raised for all sorts of deadly diseases. It would also benefit the student body by showing them that leaving their easy day-to-day lives to do something that they don’t completely enjoy is something that people plagued with diseases like these have to deal with everyday.

Programs could be offered for not only students to participate in, but if the general public were interested then they could take part as well, with UK just playing as a host to the event. Outside supporters could pledge so much money to a student depending on how much of the activity they were to do (there are other programs out there that do this, such as the Jump Rope for Heart program).

Terry Durstock

Journalism freshman