UK student body president has little influence on campus

Joker Phillips is named head coach of the UK football team at Commonwealth Stadium on Wednesday, Jan. 6, 2010. Photo by Adam Wolffbrandt

RELATED STORY: SG position could impact university if taken seriously

Why would anyone ever want to be Student Government president?

It sure as hell seems like a cushy job, with tuition assistance and a nice little salary. That corner office in the Student Center, the recognition of all your peers and direct contact with UK administrators and state legislators.

All of that sounds pretty good, right?

Look at the negatives though: constant criticism when the SG president messes up. No one forgets that Tyler Montell boasted of this idea to repel the textbook tax at the start of the Fall 2008 semester. And then, one day later, finding out the bill was filed and passed decades ago. Two years ago, SG presidential candidate Scott McIntyre ran on the platform that he would bring a Wendy’s to campus.

I mean, I love Wendy’s as much as anyone else, but when your effectiveness as SG prez is based on whether I’m getting a Frosty before racing to my class in White Hall, you’ve failed. Epically.

Here’s the real deal about the presidency — you’re about as effective as a stopped-up toilet. I won’t expand on that any farther, but think about it.

Nick Phelps did a great job lobbying in Frankfort about tuition, but in the end, UK still rocketed up tuition. Montell capitalized on student’s near-riot when W.T. Young Library was going to close in the early morning hours and those iPods are flying off the SG shelves, but unless this proposed change to Dead Week occurs, can you name what Montell’s legacy will be?

The problem isn’t with the people who are elected. It’s the system. Presidents get one year to try and accomplish everything they want. It’s impossible, because any opposition to a program or proposed change realizes that if they just delay until the current president’s term limit is up, it is likely the initiative will go away or fail.

Also, the SG president really depends on a lot of other people to change anything. Anything that affects students has to pass through the SG Senate. Anything really import has to go through the Provost or the University Senate. Basically, the SG president can pitch a lot of great ideas, set up a lot of committees, shake a lot of hands and kiss a lot of drunk sorority girls — I mean, babies.

The sad thing is that it will never change. This year’s current candidates seem to have a lot of good things to offer. Some of them seemingly realize the limitations of the office and are just trying to improve what they can, even if it’s useless. Others are trying to enforce change that would be amazing, but there’s not shot in hell they could ever get it done. Sorry, but you’re just not that powerful, guys.

Which is why I’m formally suspending my “campaign,” which was a joke to begin with. Tyler, you’re off the hook for that endorsement. Well wishes and good luck to all three of this year’s candidates so far. But when it came down to it, I realized something that helped make my decision.

I have more influence writing this column in this newspaper than I would as SG president. Isn’t that sad?