Couture comes to Cats Den

Column by Shelisa Melendez

As models parade down the runway displaying world-renowned designers’ collections at New York City’s Fashion Week, students at UK are inspired to do the same.

Aside from the weekend when Hollywood’s most elite arrive for the annual Kentucky Derby in their exquisite khakis, pastels and extravagant hats, Kentucky’s initial impression on someone from the outside looking in isn’t exactly a fashion-safe haven.

As out-of-state students arrive to Lexington from big cities such as Chicago, New York or Cincinnati, finding fashionable items can seem intimidating and far-fetched. Students often seek out other means of finding fashionable clothing by either going to other city malls or even shopping online.

“I shop online for several reasons … a lot of the stores I shop at aren’t located here, like Forever 21 and Bakers,” said Jamisha Robinson, a merchandising, apparel and textiles sophomore.

Although not the nation’s fashion capital, the city of Lexington and UK are taking steps toward a more fashionable tomorrow. Downtown Lexington has many quaint boutiques to browse through, and Fayette Mall is aiming at getting more fashion-forward stores like Forever 21.

Along with bringing fashion to a forefront in the city of Lexington, the Student Activities Board is bringing it to UK’s campus for the second year in a row.

Bravo’s hit television series “Project Runway,” hosted by supermodel Heidi Klum, has filled both living rooms and dorms the like over the past few years. Now in its seventh season, “Project Runway” intrigues viewers to know what really goes into producing a garment.

Recognizing a slight void in the diversity of activities available to students, SAB decided to add their own flare to “Project Runway,” and create Project Catwalk.

“We were motivated to start a fashion competition based off the show’s model because we had been thinking about all of the different pockets of students and student interests,” said Katy Hall, pop culture director of SAB.

Similarly to “Project Runway,” designers are given tasks, and their models present their designs in a runway show; each task is to be completed over about a three week period.

Project Catwalk has provided an outlet for creativity among students on UK’s campus.

“There are a lot of really creative people on campus, and I think more and more people are stepping out fashion-wise,” Hall said.

The next Project Catwalk will be on Feb. 22 in the Cats Den at 8 p.m. The challenge will be “Wildcat Couture.”