UK ready to see some outside competition

UK has played each other enough.

All the scrimmages, all the practices, all the drills — UK will finally encounter five players in different uniforms when the men’s basketball team plays Pikeville Monday.

“We’re looking forward to getting out to Rupp Arena and playing against some competition other than each other,” junior guard Darius Miller said in a news release.

Pikeville is the first exhibition game UK will play since the summer Canada trip in late August. So Pikeville is the first American team UK will play, at least.

It’s the pseudo-official start to the season. The game might not count in the standings, but it will provide UK an opportunity to get its first test against outside opponents.

“We just need to continue to get better in all areas and I know our guys are looking forward to playing some other competition,” UK head coach John Calipari said in the news release.

The game will also allow the team to go against new styles of play and work on things it hasn’t yet. As recently as last Friday, after the Blue-White Scrimmage, Calipari said the team hadn’t worked on switching on screens, trapping and coming off ball screens at all. More exposure is sure to come, and UK gets a chance to continue improving.

“This team, we have got to figure them out,” Calipari said after the Blue-White Scrimmage. “It doesn’t happen overnight. They have got to figure each other out.”

After the Blue-White Scrimmage, Calipari said he gained a sense of camaraderie among the players. The exhibition match could serve as a gauge for just how well the players have meshed in the limited time they have been able to practice and play together.

“Playing Pikeville is going to be a great challenge for us to see how far our team and our team chemistry have come,” senior forward Josh Harrellson said.

While the team did participate in the three-game Canada exhibition series, it will be the first live action some players will have seen. Junior Eloy Vargas was unable to make the trip and freshman Terrence Jones played only nine minutes before sustaining a shoulder injury that kept him out of the last two games. But all the players seem ready to play.

“I’m excited,” junior guard DeAndre Liggins said. “The freshmen are going to be a little bit nervous, but they’re going to get over it.”

Calipari said the opportunity to prepare for the upcoming season is reciprocal.

“(Pikeville) coach (Kelly) Wells does a great job with his team, and it will be a good test for our young squad,” Calipari said. “I like that we are able to play other Kentucky schools and help them prepare for their season as well.”

Playing a Kentucky school opens up the possibility of playing some familiar faces. Wells was Miller’s high school coach, and one of Pikeville’s players, Trevor Setty, was Miller’s high school teammate.

And then there’s Pikeville’s Landon Slone, who was a walk-on at UK for one year before asking for a release and transferring when Calipari was hired. When he left, he described his time in a UK uniform as “surreal” and “indescribable.” Now, he will play 10 other guys wearing the jersey he used to. Slone could not be reached for comment.

For UK players, it’s the last step toward “real” games. First came the summer trip, then Big Blue Madness, then practices, and now exhibitions before the season officially begins.

“I just want to come out and play hard,” Liggins said. “It’s the first game of the season. Everyone’s going to be excited.”

UK has played each other enough.All the scrimmages, all the practices, all the drills — UK will finally encounter five players in different uniforms when the men’s basketball team plays Pikeville Monday.“We’re looking forward to getting out to Rupp Arena and playing against some competition other than each other,” junior guard Darius Miller said in a news release.Pikeville is the first exhibition game UK will play since the summer Canada trip in late August. So Pikeville is the first American team UK will play, at least.It’s the pseudo-official start to the season. The game might not count in the standings, but it will provide UK an opportunity to get its first test against outside opponents.“We just need to continue to get better in all areas and I know our guys are looking forward to playing some other competition,” UK head coach John Calipari said in the news release.The game will also allow the team to go against new styles of play and work on things it hasn’t yet. As recently as last Friday, after the Blue-White Scrimmage, Calipari said the team hadn’t worked on switching on screens, trapping and coming off ball screens at all. More exposure is sure to come, and UK gets a chance to continue improving.“This team, we have got to figure them out,” Calipari said after the Blue-White Scrimmage. “It doesn’t happen overnight. They have got to figure each other out.”After the Blue-White Scrimmage, Calipari said he gained a sense of camaraderie among the players. The exhibition match could serve as a gauge for just how well the players have meshed in the limited time they have been able to practice and play together.“Playing Pikeville is going to be a great challenge for us to see how far our team and our team chemistry have come,” senior forward Josh Harrellson said.While the team did participate in the three-game Canada exhibition series, it will be the first live action some players will have seen. Junior Eloy Vargas was unable to make the trip and freshman Terrence Jones played only nine minutes before sustaining a shoulder injury that kept him out of the last two games. But all the players seem ready to play.“I’m excited,” junior guard DeAndre Liggins said. “The freshmen are going to be a little bit nervous, but they’re going to get over it.”Calipari said the opportunity to prepare for the upcoming season is reciprocal.“(Pikeville) coach (Kelly) Wells does a great job with his team, and it will be a good test for our young squad,” Calipari said. “I like that we are able to play other Kentucky schools and help them prepare for their season as well.”Playing a Kentucky school opens up the possibility of playing some familiar faces. Wells was Miller’s high school coach, and one of Pikeville’s players, Trevor Setty, was Miller’s high school teammate.And then there’s Pikeville’s Landon Slone, who was a walk-on at UK for one year before asking for a release and transferring when Calipari was hired. When he left, he described his time in a UK uniform as “surreal” and “indescribable.” Now, he will play 10 other guys wearing the jersey he used to. Slone could not be reached for comment.For UK players, it’s the last step toward “real” games. First came the summer trip, then Big Blue Madness, then practices, and now exhibitions before the season officially begins.“I just want to come out and play hard,” Liggins said. “It’s the first game of the season. Everyone’s going to be excited.”