Young Money rapper comes to Lexington

By Joy Priest

Last spring semester, UK basketball fan Drake made an appearance in Lexington with a concert for UK students much to everyone’s contentment. At the time he was the year’s breakout rap artist, freshly signed to Young Money entertainment.

On Friday, Young Money returns to the city with its newest act, Tyga, who seems to be successfully riding the radio waves.

Many people have contributed to the concert featuring Tyga and Tha Joker as headliners, including Koat Kreative, CRU Entertainment and Urban Nation which is housed in Fayette Mall.

“We’ve supported the concert by selling tickets and getting the word out there,” Urban Nation manager Donnie Welch said. “We will be doing an in-store interview with Tyga on Friday.”

Steven Dorn from Koat Kreative, who financed the concert along with Jared Pricket, former UK NCAA championship basketball player and the owner of the Kentucky Basketball Academy, says if all goes well with travel and flights Tyga will be at Urban Nation around 5:45 p.m. People will be allowed in the store.

“We brought Tyga and Tha Joker to Lexington because we feel that Lexington lacks consistent concerts and entertainment especially for those under 21,” Dorn said.

Some UK students feel differently.

“Personally I feel like the city of Lexington can do much better than artist like Tyga and Tha Joker. People are unaware that Lexington has talent of its own. There’s a lot more that they could do with this show by using the city’s talent,” Alexis Gray, a freshman Arts Administration major, said. “I won’t be attending, but I definitely know people will turn out.”

Dorn said they will have a few local acts opening up for Tyga and Tha Joker around 9:30 p.m., including Eazy and Gfo Zhey.

Yao Hong, a Louisville-based disk jockey, will be spinning at the concert, and after party.

Hong says he grew up around hip-hop culture and he’s looking forward to a great turnout from fans of all ages that love the Young Money crew.

“I have expectations of a good time. Hip-Hop is about having a fun and that’s exactly what I expect,” Hong said.

The concert will take place at Tattersalls on Broadway, across from Newtown Crossing in between Waffle House and Speedway. Doors will open at 7 p.m. Tickets will be $25 at the door and are also available online at www.cincyticket.com. Backstage and VIP passes are being sold for $100.

Following the concert, the building will be cleared and will re-open around 15 minutes later for the 18 and up, 21 to drink after party.